Interfacing MacBook with Vintage Stereo

Reaction score
Greetings All,
I currently own a MacBook, fairly new, with iTunes. I just purchased a vintage 1970's Sansui Seven receiver. So, I am on an adventure trying to interface both. I am currently plugging a Mini phono-plug to RCA cable into the receiver via the aux input. The dilemma is that the output via the MacBook jack is somewhat weak as I need to really crank up the receiver volume to get adequate listening volume when listening to iTunes. If I crank up the preamp in iTunes and the system profile sound quality is not the best. So, I know I can't get line out from the headphone jack, so I am wondering about adding a USB sound device. Getting info on this dilemma is unavailable from Apple Service, the Apple Store so I am wondering if anyone in this forum can help.
Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Hmmmm... an external USB audio interface will definitely help you with the sound quality when you want to record into the MacBook. But since you are trying to boost sound levels from the MacBook I don't think an USB audio interface will help you at all.
Maybe the Apple Service person meant to tell you to get an external USB Pre-amp to boost the volume from your MacBook to your Sansui Seven receiver.
Preamplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now that I could understand doing in your situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The Griffin Technology iMic offers line out via USB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.