• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

US carriers agree to national stolen phone database

Reaction score
US carriers agree to national stolen phone database

iphone4222712-1334064155.jpg

According to a Wall Street Journal report, four of the largest wireless carriers in the US are working with the US government to create a national stolen phone database. Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile will develop their own databases and then merge them into a centralized server within the next 18 months. Eventually, regional carriers will also participate in this initiative.

The database will help carriers and law enforcement track lost and stolen phones. Besides tracking phones, carriers have agreed to block both calling and data services for these blacklisted phones. This will be an easy task for Verizon and Sprint, but not so simple for T-Mobile and AT&T.

Verizon Wireless and Sprint already track each subscriber's phone using the phone's unique electronic serial number. This lets them easily block any phone that's been reported lost or stolen. AT&T and T-Mobile do not have a similar service in place, because their GSM phones use SIM cards. As long as you have a valid SIM card, you can use any phone, regardless of whether it is lost or stolen. These two GSM carriers are working on new technology that would let them track and block a phone using a unique ID.

US carriers agree to national stolen phone database originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:39:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
I read stuff like this and I have to wonder about the costs involved. I mean, really, if the data on a phone is so insignificant that its owner hasn't password protected the device and set it to wipe memory after several failed entry attempts, then why should the carriers or law enforcement be spending time and money on new technologies to track these relatively cheap, easily replaced devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I read stuff like this and I have to wonder about the costs involved. I mean, really, if the data on a phone is so insignificant that its owner hasn't password protected the device and set it to wipe memory after several failed entry attempts, then why should the carriers or law enforcement be spending time and money on new technologies to track these relatively cheap, easily replaced devices?
As with most crimes, the issue is scale.

One stolen phone is one person's problem. But the more-organized thieves have figured out that smartphones are everywhere, easy to snatch and conceal, quick to turn over and very profitable. Lots of stolen phones mean increased costs for the carriers (you'll either claim it on insurance, demand a subsidized replacement, or cancel your very-profitable data plan and maybe pay a puny ETF.)

And the thieves don't donate their proceeds to the rotary club; they'll use them to fund other scams.

On the other hand, a database is a pretty cheap thing to put together, especially since the carriers all maintain databases of phones anyway.
...is great if your phone is lost, or stolen by someone who isn't serious, but useless if the thief turns the phone off quickly and wipes it clean. Which they quickly learn to do; see above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.