Mac Pro + Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I have a question about Mac Pro.

I'm producing music,working in Logic.
I'm making all job in it.
I have Mac Pro G5 (2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon),one of the first intel-G5's,so its near 5 years old.
Nowadays,it's not enough power for my production,so i need to upgrade.

Somewhere I've Heard,that you can Connect two Mac Pro's ,so they could work in CHAIN,merge power,so two system blocks will work under one OSX,like two brains will work on one goal (Logic projects).

My question is - is that myth or true?

Because,if its true,i'll better go to apple store and buy fresh Mac Pro instead of upgrading components of my 5-years old Mac.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You don't really chain the two Mac Pro's and certainly not under a single copy of OS X. There are programs like QMaster or Xgrid to basically distribute tasks to multiple machines, but each of those machines are otherwise operating separately..

If you think your current Mac can't keep up with the task at hand, you might want to consider upgrading to a newer version that will meet your needs..

The newer iMac's have quite fast i7 processors that might meet your needs, if not then the Mac Pro is your best bet..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have Mac Pro G5 (2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon),one of the first intel-G5's,so its near 5 years old.

A bit of a terminology correction. There are Powermac G5's...and Mac Pro's...there are no such things as "Mac Pro G5's" or "Intel-G5's".;)

It does sound like you have a 1st Generation Mac Pro.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
First of all,thank for your reply!

Ok,maybe i was wrong.
I'm not an engineer,i don't understand advanced specs.
I've uploaded a picture for you.

MAG.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not an engineer,i don't understand advanced specs.

I'm not an engineer either...or a Rocket Scientist, Brain Surgeon, or College Professor. You don't need to be any of these to know what model computer you have!;)

By the way...didn't need the photo. The specs you mentioned above (2 x 2.66ghz Dual-core Intel Xeon)...was enough info to know that you have a 1st generation "Quad-core" Mac Pro.:) There were no Powermac G5's with these specs.

Also...if your current Mac Pro(s)...aren't getting the job done...and you can afford to purchase a new Mac Pro...go for it...current Mac Pros are MUCH faster!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Hi there!

It's not a myth. Logic can indeed network two computers together to combine power. It's called Nodes.

Here's a good link for you:
Networking Macs: Using Nodes In Logic

I've never done it myself but I have a colleague who writes soundtracks for some pretty high profile video games and he nodes two Mac pros together for his stuff.

Another option would be to daisy chain multiple iMacs or or Mac Minis together via the thunderbolt port.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are indeed certain programs that can use multiple machines to distribute the work, but the OP was interested combining the two Mac's under one OS and using them as one large machine..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.