• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP 4.5 HD drops frames

S

strapper

I have a 933 mhz G4 with over 400 gigs of available space and 1.5 gigs of ram. Fcp has always dropped frames during playback in the timeline and on capture. I am at my wits end with this machine. I know it should be capable of editing no problem but I just can't figure this out. My final thought is the stock video card which is only 64meg. Does it makes sense that this could be my problem? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
---strapper---

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I've got a 64MB card in my Powerbook, it seems to do O.K. so I don't think it's that...

Have you tried going to "Easy Setup" and making sure you have it set to "Firewire Basic", of if you have a HD camera "Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i/60".

Try that and reimport some stuff to see if it's still dropping frames.

OP
S

strapper

Thanks for the input. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow night and respond with how it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I was able to use an old Powerbook Wallstreet with a 450Mhz upgrade CPU. To create the best circumstance for not dropping frames on import, I created a special partition on the drive that I would reformat each time before an import. This allows the data to be placed on the drive in a sequential format. Because the drive isn't working hard on find the next block to write data to, the import can keep up to the firewire copy.

As for regular DV playback. Your system should be fine, unless your relying on realtime rendering for editing. That does consume alot of power and as I recall 4.5 has some bars on top to let you know it is stressing out. Render when you hit that barrier.

Before you go spend money on a new card, check the specs. Can 4.5 use the card to gain performance as 5.x can.

I'm still on 3.1, so can't be of much further help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.