Unable to connect to Wireless with TP-Link TD-W8960N

Reaction score
Hello,

I wondered if anyone would be able to assist me. I have recently purchased a TP-Link Router, Model Number TD-W8960N. I wasn't able to use the CD to set up the router that came with it due to it being a 'mini disk" and doesn't fit in my laptop.
I am able to connect to the internet no problems, the setup worked fine but I can only connect to the internet by having the Ethernet cable connected.
I have been in touch with my ISP and they have done as much as they can they said. I then rung TP-Link technical support number and tried a few different options with them but then got cut off and didn't think we were making progress with the issue so haven't rung back as yet as I will get a new person and will have to go through the issues all again.

I changed my SSID name and password as suggested by the technician and when I am prompted for my password when I click on "Airport" it comes up with "Connection failed"

Is anyone else able to provide any guidance on what the problem may be? Like I say, the internet is working fine with the cable plugged in just cannot connect wirelessly. I also tried from my ipad to ensure it wasn't just the computer and it wasn't, ipad says error message "unable to connect to network."

I would be grateful if anyone could provide some support to try and get it up and running. :)

Thanks
Mandy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably should call the TP-Link tech support folks again and have them walk you through the setup. Ask to speak with someone who is familiar with setting it up with a Mac.

Once the router is setup correctly (SSID, channel, encryption and password), connecting your Mac should be straight forward. Just click on the Airport icon on your top menu. It should give you a list of available networks. Click on your network, supply the correct password when asked for it, and you should connect.

One note here.... Encryption method: Do not use WEP. Only use WPA or WPA2, preferably WPA2.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chscag - thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am not having much luck with the tech support. I have phoned back 3 times now and all 3 times I get cut off. It's like it gets to hard for them and they say "hello" and then hang up the telephone... getting a little bit frustrating as its been 4 days now and would really like to have this up and running on a wireless network.

I followed what you said above and it does give me a list of available networks. I click the network I am wanting to connect to, input my password and it comes up with "connection failed". The last technician I spoke to got me to change my SSID to a new one and also changed the Network Authentication to "Open - Insecurity) and asked me to create a network key - which I did and now use that network key when prompted for a password to connect to the network. Im not sure how secure the above network authentication is?? I'm not familiar with these at all.
I just relooked at what they asked me to change and it is say WEP encryption - enabled... Im guessing going by your comment this is not good.??

Would you be able to suggest anything else for me to try? I will follow up with an email as well to TP-Link since I dont seem to be having much luck on the telephone.

Thanks
Mandy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.