adding a password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I just got my Macbook Pro and when I set it up I didn't set up an admin password. How can I set it up now?

Thanks to everyone. I've been overwhelmed with the switch and there is so much information on here and everyone is very helpful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow the instructions given in this LINK.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im afraid to click on the lock because I don't have a password yet. Will it ask me to make one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right now you have no password. Clicking on the lock should allow it to open with a null response. In other words, just press enter. Let us know....

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now you have no password. Clicking on the lock should allow it to open with a null response. In other words, just press enter. Let us know....

Correct. I've made it password protected but there still is no admin password. When it asks for a password all I have to do is hit enter with out actually putting anything in there. Trying to create an admin password is what I'm trying to do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you didn't create a password when you first setup your Mac you're probably going to have to create a new Admin account and assign it a password. Once the new account has been setup and works with the password, log into it and copy everything from your old account to the new one. After determining everything has been copied and working correctly, delete the old account.

To be on the safe side, make a backup using Time Machine before you create the new account and password.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got off of the phone with Apple and to add a password it goes like this.

Click on the Apple icon.
System Preferences
System: User groups
Highlight the admin account
Click "change password"
Where it wants your old password you put nothing in since I didn't have one.
Put in new password and verify then close.
All done.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much easier that way. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.