Aperture vs Photoshop

S

sandals1621

Ok, Been using Photoshop since 94, but Aperture looks intirguing. I especially like how it handles RAW images (the format I work in a lot now with my D70).

So lets get a good discussion going for it. What does each have that you like or dont like???

OP
T

Tel

I don't think people should be comparing Aperture with Photoshop, they're totally different applications. I'm glad someone has finally made an application to handle the post-production side of things and by the looks of it they've done a good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am just angry that my year old iMac can't even run aperture. It looks like a fantastic program and would have bought it in a second if I could run it

OP
S

Seamus

Being a professional photographer I dont think Aperature was meant to take Photoshops place or even compete.
When working in a studio enviroment, 99% of the time our cameras are attached to a Mac and we use software such as Phase Capture One and Leaf Capture to actually capture or take the photograph. I believe this is what Mac has intended with their Aperture software. The only drawback I see with Aperature, is that it doesnt support some of the higher end proffessional cameras such as the Phase H series or Imacon(now Hasseblad).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Quick off-topic question to Seamus, doesn't Hasselblad now own Zeiss? Just curious and you seem to know your stuff.

On topic, comparing Aperture to Photoshop is comparing apple to oranges. They're not meant to do the same thing. Aperture and iPhoto are in the same boat, kind of. Compare Photoshop to Gimp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i know nothing about aperture really but this is on the aperture website
"Round-trip Photoshop support
Aperture lets you launch directly into Adobe Photoshop with a single-click. There, you can take advantage of Photoshop’s strong compositing and layer effects, and when you’re done making modifications, simply save the file. Your modified image will automatically be added to your Aperture library as a version of the original file, where you can manage it easily in a Project or Album."

OP
S

Seamus

surfwax95 said:
Quick off-topic question to Seamus, doesn't Hasselblad now own Zeiss? Just curious and you seem to know your stuff.

I believe they are still two separate companys, although Hasselblad tags their name on many different photoghraphy items (like Imacon digital camera backs).
Carl Zeiss glass is some of the very best.

OP
Q

quanz

just like everyone said, it will be great to have both of them working together, however, I dont ahve problems wiht raw images in photoshop, but my post production usually involes a bit of burning/dogding and some small colour correction, so t is possible that i dont run into problems because of this

OP
R

razekworkz

what can u do with aperture and what can u do with photoshop? if they were develop for different things what is that makes them both good in their own field?
im trying to get a photo editing aplication and i have been considering these two options so i would like to learn more about them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Off topic: Hasn't Zeiss (or at least the name) been bought out?

On topic: Aperture is an app for organisation and lossless batch manipulation / proofing of digital photos (specifically RAW images). Photoshop is for precise editing and manipulation of single images.

But I'd wait for version 2.0 - according to ars.technica Aperture 1.0 still has some pretty serious shortcomings:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/aperture.ars/1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.