Macbook 13 2ghz core 2 duo, LCD replacment or upgrade

Reaction score
I just found an old Macbook 13' in a bag in the closet that has acracked screen. Everything else is in order with it, running snow leopard, and I am running updates now. So the question I pose for this forum is this: Should I actually shell out the 88 dollars for a new lcd screen and replace it myself. Or just trash it? I wounder if there is any parting out I could do but its probably not worth the time it takes. I think a site I briefly scanned offered me 18$ for the laptop itself :)

2 GHz (C2D, Late 2006) MacBook 13" A1181
2GB Ram

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you can replace the cracked display for $88 bucks...and this would make it fully functional...I would do it in a heartbeat!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. Have you plugged an external display into it to check it's functionality?

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes I have pluged it in with an adapter to a 19" LCD tv and it works fine, I was just thinking maybe I get 300 and buy an I pad 2 with the proceeds but thanks for your view :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Its a ebay computer but I just want the screen.
For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that ... Read moreabout the condition

Brand:

Apple
Memory: 2 GB
Release Year:
Hard Drive Capacity:

160 GB

Release Month:

February

Processor Speed:

2.4 GHz

Product Family:

MacBook

Weight:

5 lb.

Screen Size:

13.3"

MPN:
MB403LL/A

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have pluged it in with an adapter to a 19" LCD tv and it works fine, I was just thinking maybe I get 300 and buy an I pad 2 with the proceeds but thanks for your view :)

That MacBook is really only worth about $350-$400. With a faulty display...MAYBE you could get $300 from some uninformed person. But I would never pay $300 for it as is.

Repair the display...and you should be able to get $350-$400 for it.

Why not give someone a REALLY good deal??:) Sell it with the broken display for $150-$200. It will probably sell fast. You got it for nothing...so anything you make selling it will be a bonus.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know if this type screen will fit?

In your original post you mentioned being able to repair this MacBook's display for $88 bucks. This would indicate to me that you knew (then) exactly what part/parts you needed...otherwise where did the $88 estimate come from?

The reason why I mentioned earlier..."if you could repair the display for $88 bucks I would do it in a heartbeat"...was because $88 is pretty darn low!

Now it sounds like your really not sure what part/parts to use.

Go to either...ifixit.com or powerbook medic.com...get the part numbers for the display panels for the two MacBooks in question (the e-Bay one you mentioned, and the MacBook that needs to be repaired)...and see if the part numbers are the same.

If they are...great...if not (but they look the same)...you can either:

- take a risk and buy the e-Bay computer
- look for another donor computer
- buy the correct part outright
- sell the computer as is

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the timley replies. I had found the exact replacment with the help of Ifixit for 88 dollars but I also found a comperable computer with a dead motherboard and excellent screen condition on ebay. So I figured I could dismantle that one and get some extra parts out of it. It is only 35$ so its cheaper just a little more work

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the timley replies. I had found the exact replacment with the help of Ifixit for 88 dollars but I also found a comperable computer with a dead motherboard and excellent screen condition on ebay. So I figured I could dismantle that one and get some extra parts out of it. It is only 35$ so its cheaper just a little more work

Ahh...I see...totally makes sense!:)

The additional positive with the e-Bay computer...is not only is it cheaper...but you also get a little extra experience disassembling the display...before doing the install on the "good" computer!:):)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.