HD size

Reaction score
How can I find the size of my Hard Drive on my iMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Right (Control) Click on the HD Icon and select "Get Info" from the pop up window options. That will give you total and unused space on your HD.

OP
jott
Reaction score
Right (Control) Click on the HD Icon and select "Get Info" from the pop up window options. That will give you total and unused space on your HD.
Thank you for your reply. My Macintosh HD Info shows :size: 393860 bytes (401KB on disk)
What is my total disk capacity?
John

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thank you for your reply. My Macintosh HD Info shows :size: 393860 bytes (401KB on disk)
What is my total disk capacity?
John
There's a mistake here - you definitely have more than 401KB of space (both used and total).

When you "get info" on the HD, you should get the following:

Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 10.51.39 AM.jpg

The capacity value is the one you're looking for.

OP
jott
Reaction score
There's a mistake here - you definitely have more than 401KB of space (both used and total).

The capacity value is the one you're looking for.
This is an interesting learning experience. I have a HD icon within the "Finder" and also the same icon on the desktop. Get Info gives different info for these two identical HD icons..
The one inside 'Finder" shows under General for Kind "Volume" and the other shows "Alias".with a Size of 401 KB , wheras the first one shows a Capacity of 499.25 GB.which is obviously the correct value.
I have no idea what the meaning of the "alias" info is telling me and why an Alias should deliver different info.
P.S
I was impressed with your shown image and would like to know what steps are required to
add an image within a post
Thanks for your help,
John

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
An alias is the OS X equivalent of a Windows shortcut. That would be why the size was so small.

To add a picture, click the attachment icon (it's the paper clip) in the toolbar when you're writing a post.

OP
jott
Reaction score
Talking of alias, is there an equivalent in Os X to the Linux alias? e.g., i would like to have an alias ll='ls -l'
John

Reaction score
In Lion.

Also try clicking on the little Apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Then select the first option: "About This Mac"

Then click on "More Info…", and then the "Storage" tab.

And you'll see your drives along with size, free space, and what categories are stored. Such as Audio, Movies, Photos, Apps, etc.

For much more detail about your whole system, click on the "Overview" tab and then "System Report" instead of the "Storage" noted above.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Talking of alias, is there an equivalent in Os X to the Linux alias? e.g., i would like to have an alias ll='ls -l'
John
As a Unix operating system, OS X inherits all of those wonderful admin and management tools. So yes, you can set up bash aliases just like you would in Linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.