external hard drive issue

Reaction score
i just bought an external hard drive and all of my data is now backed up. when i try to open the hard drive, it says "you can't open the application iPhoto (or whatever application i want to open) because it is in a time machine backup.

i want to be sure all of my movies, songs, photos are really on the ext. hard drive before i delete them from my laptop. how can i see the applications? i know they are there, but i'm afraid of deleting them until i can actually see them.

i apologize to you all - i'm not very mac savvy. i appreciate your patience...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Open the time machine application and your screen will be taken over by time machine, showing a Time based version of the finder where you can navigate around folders to see what is backed up, and even go back in time if that's what you want

OP
L
Reaction score
i appreciate your reply. unfortunately, i'm not having the outcome you've described. i open the time machine, go to finder, make my way to the applications, click on iphoto (for example) and i get the same message. :(

maybe i'm doing it wrong....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.