Windows 7 (64) no startup via BootCamp - infinite rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a brand new MacBook Pro. OS X 10.7.3. 15-inch. 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

This MBP can only support Windows 7 (XP and Vista not supported).

Using the BootCamp instructions, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I used an actual disc to install. Everything went as expected. I made the Windows partition to be 76 GB large, so there is plenty of space.

I passed the part where Windows (still booting from the disc) asks me to enter a name for my computer. I did that. Then it asked me how I want to go about automatic updates. I always elect to not do updates automatically. It then restarts (as it should, says BootCamp), but doesn't actually boot in Windows 7. Instead, when it restarts, it goes to a black screen where you see a blinking cursor in the top left corner. It stays at this screen for a couple of seconds, then restarts again. This process then continues to repeat itself.

I tried booting for the disc and using the Windows Repair tool. I select to repair Windows 7, hit next, but then it says:

"This version of System Repair is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit again (after setting the partition back to normal, and then creating the 76 GB partition again). Same deal. I then tried Windows 7 Professions 64-bit. Same deal. I will soon try a 32-bit version of either Ultimate or Professional, but I doubt it will work.

Any takers on this mystery?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you download and create the driver disk as directed by the Boot Camp assistant? Afterward, did you use it to install drivers for Windows 7? It sounds like you do not have a video driver installed - consequently the black screen with blinking cursor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder if OP actually printed and read the Guide Lines?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did this Windows 7 64-bit DVD come from? Is it a Retail or OEM copy? If not that could be your issue. Also did you format the partition for Windows NTFS?

OP
J
Reaction score
Solved

SOLVED: I used an alternate Windows 7 Ultimate DVD and it worked fine. There must have been some kind of compatibility issue with the first disc I was using. And yes, both DVDs were bootleg (illegitimate) copies of Windows 7 Ultimate (not to brag about such use or anything). Despite what Apple and Support Teams say, bootlegs do work. You just need to get yourself a good copy.

FYI, I did download the drivers to a USB flashdrive, but that's irrelevant. In the problem I discussed, I could not get Windows to boot up. You use the drivers AFTER Windows boots, not before. If you can't boot, you don't use the drivers.

And yes, I did print and read the guidelines. They are very easy to follow.

And yes, I did format the partition in NTFS. You actually cannot proceed if you did not do this. The system won't let you get past that part without formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.