Filevault 2 (switcher's nightmare)

Reaction score
Since we are all aware that filevault2 has been cracked (in a mere matter of minutes), what is the best way to secure the entirety of your Mac OS operating system. The truecrypt manual says it supports full disk system encryption for a variety of winblows devices, but not mac.

Are there any secure alternatives that you can personally recommend?

I also heard that so long as your computer isn't in "sleep" mode, FV2 will still hold it's integrity. Is this true?

Thanks and as always:

Love,
Ring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I also heard that so long as your computer isn't in "sleep" mode, FV2 will still hold it's integrity. Is this true?

Yep, as I'm sure you read in the article the tool only works if the key is stored in memory. That ain't happening after you power off.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yep, as I'm sure you read in the article the tool only works if the key is stored in memory. That ain't happening after you power off.

well somebody determined could freeze your computer and attempt to capture the ram data

lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
It may take billions of years for somebody to find the correct 265 bit encryption key, but theoretically, a password guessing program could also guess the correct passphrase in the first 5 tries.

Basically, not a single encryption scheme on this planet will help you if you loose physical control over your data and someone gets lucky.

Filevault 2 does exactly what I expect from it.
It may not help me if the FBI want to get at my data. (Seeing as they probably could just lock me up till I fess up and give them the password) but if I ever have my laptop stolen or it gets lost I can rest easy knowing my files are safe from pretty much everybody.

OP
R
Reaction score
It may take billions of years for somebody to find the correct 265 bit encryption key, but theoretically, a password guessing program could also guess the correct passphrase in the first 5 tries.

Basically, not a single encryption scheme on this planet will help you if you loose physical control over your data and someone gets lucky.

Filevault 2 does exactly what I expect from it.
It may not help me if the FBI want to get at my data. (Seeing as they probably could just lock me up till I fess up and give them the password) but if I ever have my laptop stolen or it gets lost I can rest easy knowing my files are safe from pretty much everybody.

I'm not hiding from the FBI, lol. I would freely and gladly attempt to decrypt anything upon request from the FBI.

Security is fun though, and it is good to be secure. And for some reason, I fundamentally distrust closed source security software.

C

chas_m

The original story from which you're quoting about Filevault 2 has been somewhat discredited:

FileVault encryption keys easily uncovered, warns Passware | MacNN

(be sure to read the comments)

The circumstances under which your Filevault password could be retrieved are, to put it mildly, exceptional. They are also identical to any other security system, as MacYukon said. Filevault is no more "cracked" than anything else.

I have always taken a very dim view of Filevault being used outside of occupational requirements, as the potential for data loss was so high (a problem I witnessed MANY TIMES as a former technician). Filevault 2 addresses some of those concerns.

Ring: there's nothing "closed source" about Filevault. It's merely an implementation of open-source, well-known encryption standards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.