Is there a way...

Reaction score
Hey all -

Here is the scenario. My wife has an iPad, I have an iMac. We each share my apple ID. and each use iCloud. Is their a way for each of us to type something onto Ical, and be able to share it. As it stands now, the only way for me to do it is to go onto I cloud and type it, so that she can see it on her calendar. Is there any way for each of us to do it on our own machines, our own calendar apps and be able to see what each other has planned?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many people seem to be asking for that feature. There are some tutorials out there that seem to accomplish this through Google calendars as an intermediary.

iCal almost gets the job done by letting you subscribe to a calendar but I don't believe you could both edit the calendar. You might give BusyCal a try. There is a free trial and it seems to do what you need. BusyCal Videos

OP
H
Reaction score
Seems like a shame that you can share almost everything on all devices through iCloud but not your calendar. It doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Seems like a shame that you can share almost everything on all devices through iCloud but not your calendar. It doesn't make sense to me.

But you can publish your calendar to other users. When you publish your calendar to your wife and she subscribes (and vice versa) then whatever you do on yours she will be able to see on her iCal too.

(To be able to interfere with someone else's calendar would be asking for trouble. Only the owner should be able to edit their own, otherwise all heck would break loose.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Just use google calendar works great, i can put an appointment in on my phone, ipad, imac, PC or someone else's PC and its instantly on ALL my devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Hwlensky,

I want to help you but, I'm a bit confused by your post. Can you just answer me this one question: Does your wife have her own iCloud account that she uses on the iPad, or do you have your own iCloud account set up on both the iMac and the iPad?

I know you can do what you want to do (my wife and I both share calendars on iCloud and it works fantastically), but I need some clarification on how you have things set up so that I can help you. Any additional information you can provide would be fantastic.

OP
H
Reaction score
They both have my apple ID. If you need any other info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Well, if that's the case, then all you should have to do is set up your iCloud account on both devices.

On Your iMac
  1. Go into System Preferences.
  2. Click on Mail, Contacts & Calendars.
  3. Click Add Account and select iCloud from the options on the right.
  4. Enter your username and password and click Sign In.
  5. You should see options to sync various bits of information with iCloud, such as Mail & Notes and Contacts.
  6. Click the boxes next to the items you want sync to iCloud, so that they are checked.
  7. Once the Calendars option is checked, you should be able to go into iCal and see all your appointments and make new ones as you like.

On Your Wife's iPad
  1. Tap on Settings.
  2. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  3. Tap Add Account.
  4. Select iCloud from the list of options.
  5. Enter your iCloud username and password and tap Next (in the upper right).
  6. As with the iMac, select which bits of information you want to sync with the iPad by flipping the little switches to On (if they aren't already).
  7. Once everything you want to sync is set up, tap Save (in the upper right).
  8. Your wife should now be able to see all your calendar events on iCloud using the built-in calendar app and make changes if she needs to.

Hopefully, that solves your problem. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.