Using iPhone apps on an iMac

Reaction score
Hi

How do I use iPhone apps on an iMac? I can see all my iPhone apps in iTunes but when i double click on them nothing happens. Am trying to access Instagram on my iMac. Is this possible?
Thanks,

Linda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
No, it's not possible. iOS apps do not run in OSX

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I have just switched from pc to a mac and not a lot of stuff is making sense. I had kind of assumed the iMac would be more intuitive than a pc but most of the time it just leaves me guessing. No wonder there is such an active forum here!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Change is always confusing. keep those questions coming. You'll be answering questions around here before you know it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I've never tried it, but was under the impression that you COULD run them with the iOS simulator that comes in the dev kit straight from Apple. No?

EDIT: This post got me curious, so I went ahead and registered as an Apple Dev (it's free) and am downloading Xcode and the iPhone SDK, which do contain an iOS simulator. It's a 4GB download, so I don't have it yet. Will see how it goes.

C

chas_m

That's not really the same as running iOS applications as Mac applications, which is what the OP wanted. The iOS simulator is designed for testing iOS apps on a Mac – yes, you're running them, but not in the same way that a typical user would. Also it's impractical for everyone to register as an OS X developer.

As for the Mac being "intuitive," it is – but if you're used to a different system, you will naturally have to adapt before understanding the intuitiveness. As you begin to understand the mentality behind Apple's design and OS philosophies, things will make a lot more sense to you, I promise. It's much like the mental shift you had to make when you learned to drive a car, when up to that point all you had been used to was riding a bike.

It may someday be possible for users of a Mac to access iOS apps in a seamless virtual environment – but for the time being, Apple prefers to keep the two systems separate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.