Live effects to input

Reaction score
Hi all. I hope someone can help me out.

I am recording audio via quicktime player, and need to delay the audio by 600ms. I have an AU plugin that will work perfectly, but I can't figure out how to apply the effect to the line-in input. Can anyone suggest a workflow?

Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'll pass on some things I discovered, in case anyone has this question or anyone can add to this.

I succeeded to some degree, by doing this:
1. Installed Soundflower; this creates virtual sound inputs and outputs, so sound can be passed between applications.
2. In GarageBand, I created a real instrument.
3. Set input to Line-in
4. Added the Voxengo Delay AU (Precise audio delaying plugin (AU, VST) - Voxengo Sound Delay - Voxengo) which is free and simple. The Apple AUDelay repeats the sound as well, rather than just delaying it (unless I missed something).
5. Set GarageBand's sound output to Sountflower, and turned monitoring on.
6. In QT player, new movie recording, with audio input set to "Soundflower".

The good news is that I can save the GarageBand document, which can be opened and everything is immediately running. But, it would be nice if there was a way to add an effect to any input directly so that I only have to use one application.

Any suggestions to streamline this? It is for an installation which will be run by students, so the fewer steps needed to set this up the better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.