• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie>Toast>Error Msg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ok, in regards to a previous post...

I created an iMovie project (7 mins in length) and saved it as a .dv file which is about 1.2 gigs in size.
I have Toast and an external dvd writer.
I dropped the file onto Toast with Advanced settings to create a DVD-video and NTSC with no chapters (don't need them).

Toast began "encoding" and this process lasted about 6 or 7 hours (?), then it started to "write" to the DVD. About an 1/8th of the way through Toast gave me an error saying "can't write lead out".
What does that mean?

Anyway, the disc ejected after I hit "ok" and I was able to play the dvd on my tv DVD player but it stopped at about a minute and a half of play. Was this caused by the error message I got?

Is this a normal error message in regards to toast (glitchy)? and should I try again? Or perhaps I didn't do something right?

Thanks for any advice.

2tone_punk

I had a similar problem burnign with toast i dont know how to fix it but i do know how to tell if you file will burn without an error, ok well when you have chosen the video tab the drop the video file on to toast and if it shows up with a small screenshot of the first frame of the video it will burn with no problem but if you get a picture of a video reel then it will get an error, although this is only my experience.

Exapmle John lennon video would burn but the simpsons episode would have an error... sorry i cant help out with getting your video to burn, but what i told you may save some blank dvds going to waste.

Paul

screenshot.jpeg

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ah.. sorry to say your theory doesn't work for me. I can see a thumbnail of the image. As for the error, it was because I dropped the file from an external harddrive - and occassionally it will loose a split second connection and cause the error.

Anyway, moving on to Toast errors... my buffer underrun is grayed out and I can't select it. Any reason why? I can't burn at all anymore cuz of buffer underrun errors. I've been resorting to DiscBlaze but still get errors with that. It's 50/50 for me when burning and I've got so many coasters I can open my own store!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.