New Switcher... well kind of :)

S

sandals1621

Always loved macs (still have a IIc comewhere).
But am stuck in a PC world, slowly moving as much as I can to apple.

Yesterday Purchased my Mac Daddy ;) The quad G5, Got it home installed 8gb of Ram, and Nvidia 7800, and a 500gb hdd.

Now thi is sitting beside my PC laptop, and amongst my 2 Mac mini's (I have 5 LCDs on my desk)

The G5 will mostly be used for Graphic editing, and video editing.

And if anyone knows a simple way to setup a Raid array of HDD's inside the mac I'd love to hear it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that appears to be an amazing machine you just picked up......i think we need some pictures of your setup
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
sandals1621 said:
And if anyone knows a simple way to setup a Raid array of HDD's inside the mac I'd love to hear it.
You can set up a software RAID array using Disk Utility.

A software RAID volume isn't bootable, though, so you'd still need another drive (Like an external FireWire 800) to boot from. (I'm assuming you'd use the RAID volume as a scratch disk.) Big as those towers are, they only have two drive bays.

Very impressive system, BTW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Very nice setup, but may I ask what on earth you need two mac minis for? Especially when you have the most powerful Mac currently in existence?

Reaction score
Meyvn said:
Very nice setup, but may I ask what on earth you need two mac minis for? Especially when you have the most powerful Mac currently in existence?

Good question, I don't know what I would do with that many computers. I think he needs to sell me one of his minis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL
sandals1621 said:
Always loved macs (still have a IIc comewhere).
But am stuck in a PC world, slowly moving as much as I can to apple.

Yesterday Purchased my Mac Daddy ;) The quad G5 Got it home installed 8gb of Ram, and Nvidia 7800, and a 500gb hdd.

off-topic..but interesting that someone considers blowing $3,5k for a computer "slowly."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
well i had a smiley that had signs that said "this thread is worthless without pics." but i must have deleted it. sounds like a very nice setup.

OP
S

sandals1621

I'll take some pics once I clean the desxk up a bit :)

The 2 mac mini's ..... 1 is mainly for the wife, the other one I bought last spring as a portable mac, I've already got 2500 in a windows laptop and didn't want to drop that on a powerbook too, so I bought a mac mini. The Main Reason I still have them all up and running is for a Render Farm for After effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
That's awesome. I'm saving up for a Quad G5 with 16GB of RAM just so I can say I have one. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Holy cow... I haven't even hit the performance ceiling of my Dual 2.3 yet!

I'll buy a quad G5 when I need a computer that can estimate the total amount of dark matter in the universe to the nearest milligram.

OP
S

sandals1621

sevenhelmet said:
Holy cow... I haven't even hit the performance ceiling of my Dual 2.3 yet!

I'll buy a quad G5 when I need a computer that can estimate the total amount of dark matter in the universe to the nearest milligram.

you'd think.... But already this morning I bogged it down :)

Of course I was previewing a File I had just made in motion while importing some raw files into photoshop :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.