Thinking of switching...but have some concerns

Reaction score
I have used a PC for nearly 2 decades now and very comfortable with them. My concerns are that boot camp isn't going to have that great of performance and since I mostly play games (swtor and eq2). I don't want to spend twice as much just to get a shiny paper weight. I am planning on getting the MBP 17" i7 with the radeon 6770m.

Anyone play these games or games in general on the boot camp side, have any feedback? thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Boot Camp simply facilitates the installation of Windows so you'd be running it natively. Thus, you'd get the same level of performance as you would on a similarly spec'd non-Apple machine. Therefore, you'll have to determine if the 6770M meets the requirements of the games that you play. What kinds of games are you playing?

OP
C
Reaction score
Star Wars: The Old Republic and some times Everquest 2.

I have looked at the reviews of the 6770m and it seems to do reasonably well, not the best out there but not bad either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
If you "mostly play games" don't buy a Mac. Period. Usually I don't comment on posts like this, but the "shiny paper weight" comment just didn't make any sense...

OP
C
Reaction score
(snip) but the "shiny paper weight" comment just didn't make any sense...

all I meant was is that the MBP would be useless and a waste of money if it wasn't going to perform well with games. Thanks for the advise and I guess I will look into PC laptops.

Its to bad really, cause i love how the MBP are built, feel very sturdy and i know they operate well, just probably not for what i am looking for.

C

chas_m

Well, keep the MBP or iMac in mind when you get to the point where your priority is on productivity, since that is where they really excel. It's not that you can't do high-quality gaming on the Mac (the popularity of Steam and the Mac gaming market kind of proves that), it's that it's not Apple's focus the way it is with some PC builders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
all I meant was is that the MBP would be useless and a waste of money if it wasn't going to perform well with games. Thanks for the advise and I guess I will look into PC laptops.

Its to bad really, cause i love how the MBP are built, feel very sturdy and i know they operate well, just probably not for what i am looking for.

I get what you meant. They really are great machines. They are just not worth the cost if gaming is a primary concern. If money is no object that is fine, but even then there are better Windoze alternatives for gaming. Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.