powermac g4 display issues

Reaction score
hi been given a power mac g4 (1996 i think) which i can make use of. only problem is when i connect it to a standard vga monitor i get no signal ?
do i need a special apple monitor or a different cable etc
having spent all my time on windows pc's i am new to the world of apple so please take pity on me
any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks for looking

C

chas_m

If you're new to the world of Apple I would politely suggest you work with something a bit newer than such a ridiculously old computer. That would be like me saying "hey gang, got a 1996 PC so I can learn Windows on it. Any way to get more than 256 colours on this thing?" :)

It can't be from 1996 since the G4 didn't exist in 1996, but it's likely a 1999 or 2000 model which still makes it well over a decade old. While it's possible to run Mac OS X (much older versions) on it I can't imagine that you would have anything but constant frustration trying to use it for modern web applications or with today's demanding software (little of which will be compatible with it anyway).

Depending on what model you have, it should however be able to plug into a VGA monitor. Perhaps the video card has died and needs replacement, I'd suggest OWC (macsales.com) for your best bet on finding a video card that will actually run with something that old.

But seriously, you need to move up to a machine made a bit closer to this decade. As a Windows user I know you are used to (and perhaps enjoy) challenges, but this is a bad way to begin to your introduction to Mac IMHO.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the advice

thanks for looking i was going to try and use it purely for itunes but now having looked into it i realise that it is just too old to be useful.it cost me nothing so i have lost nothing ! i will have to persevere with the enemy system and start saving up !!
thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.