Sun co-founder praises G5, OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Sun co-founder praises G5, OS X
November 20, 2003 - 13:57 EST Wired has published an interview with Bill Joy, co-founder of Sun Microsystems. In the interview, Joy discusses, among other things, his Power Mac G5 and Mac OS X. "I just got a new Mac with two 2-gigahertz processors, 8 gigabytes of memory, and a half a terabyte of internal disk," he noted. "So you have the ability to hold a huge simulation all in memory -- a database becomes a data structure. Add 64-bit computing and I can do breathtaking visualization." When asked about Linux, Joy said, "For kids who are 20 years younger than me, Linux is a great way to cut your teeth. It's a cultural phenomenon and a business phenomenon. Mac OS X is a rock-solid system that's beautifully designed. I much prefer it to Linux."

My Comments: Wow.. now that is an article! Very awesome! A lot of geeks out there will see this and really begin to wonder about OS X and might take a peek or two if they havent already.. very nice article!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah, this is pretty sweet. Bring in the nerds!

Reaction score
Even tho the OP is more than 6 years old, I thought it was worth bumping. I ran across this Bill Joy quote a couple of days ago while researching OSX bash commands and was surprised that a Sun Microsystems founder would be so complimentary towards OSX.

After a fairly detailed comparison of Linux and OSX for a software development/deployment project, and getting expert recommendations to go with Linux, it was pretty obvious to me that OSX was the best choice. Since I'm a newby I felt I would run into some roadblocks that I had not foreseen but that has not been the case at all. With time it becomes more obvious it was the right choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.