• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

File extensions - iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive
Hi all, I made my first DVD yesterday with some footage of some of the shows we had seen on holiday.

The file on the DVD disc at present only plays with quicktime which wouldnt play on the DVD player at the in laws resulting in having to watch it on a laptop.

Can the files be converted so that they play on a standard DVD player ?

Also, can you group the movies on a DVD and add a menu ? (I googled for this and it said to use iDVD but that program is not available on the lion osx)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive
Thanks for the reply and the links, will have to give the Toast a miss for now, its too soon after buying the mac, I need to recover still. lol

I tried Burn last night and it did create a DVD that would play on various players, it put its own menu on the disc which was good just looked a little rough. If I can get the menu screen altered to my own then Burn will be perfect for me :D

I did also download a copy of iDVD09 last night but it seems it will only allow m4v format which only seems to play in quick time, not sure if it converts the files when you burn to disc as I didn't get that far.

Its a real shame that they don't include a menu maker any more with the Lion Osx, not everyone wants to share their videos to the cloud and in this case, parents and grandparents only just about know what a DVD is let alone internet based sharing services.

Anyway, thanks for the information, it worked to get the holiday videos on the DVD so that others can watch it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you've installed iDVD, then you should be able to Share from iMovie's Share menu.

C

chas_m

I have to point out that YouTube (Vimeo, et al) all offer an option to upload videos and mark them "private" so that only people you give the password to can view them. WAY easier than the hassle of making and mailing DVDs.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see the point of making all media available online, your right it is much easier and cheaper than processing DVD's, however the people who will be watching the videos are not computer type people and would not know where to start with looking online for the media.

I have deleted the DVD09 program from the mac as it didnt seem to work correctly or not as i would have liked anyway.

I ended up using Burn to create my disk but even then, the menu that i created for the disc was a little poor.

If everyone just bought a mac then i would have no problems but as it is everyone wants to watch the videos on their TV's.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I managed to get Roxio Toast 11 Titanium today for just $50 through an on-line deal.

Can't wait to get home and download it so that I can try again to make my videos look more professional :)

C

chas_m

I managed to get Roxio Toast 11 Titanium today for just $50 through an on-line deal.

Can't wait to get home and download it so that I can try again to make my videos look more professional :)

I find Toast to be a pretty nice little program with better menus than burn but NOWHERE near as good as the menus in iDVD. Still, it's serviceable on the menus and excellent in most other areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find Toast to be a pretty nice little program with better menus than burn but NOWHERE near as good as the menus in iDVD.
Have to agree with that. I was rather disappointed for something that in the UK, you can pay £85 for. Like the OP though, I got mine at a discount from a US site.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a little play with the Toast software when i got home last night and I must admit, it impressed me, it did exactly what I was looking to do with my holiday video footage and photos and worked seamlessly.

Thanks for all the contribution in the thread :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.