Can't upgrade to ICloud, what to do?

Reaction score
Hello All,

I switched from PC to Mac in 2007, love it. I can't believe it took me so long. Anyway, I can't afford to purchase a new system and my system is too old to run Lion & iCloud.
All my communication has been through @mac.com. What do I do now?
Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without upgrading to a newer Mac or other device, you can not use iCloud. See the following Apple KB article which explains the system requirements.

LINK

C

chas_m

If you bought a new Mac in 2007 that has a Core 2 Duo chip (not Core Duo), then you can in fact run Lion. I am writing this to you on a BlackBook from mid-2007, and I have and use iCloud.

If by chance you got a Core Duo, my advice would be to switch to the current Mac mini or perhaps a used MacBook of recent vintage (2008 or later so you can run Mountain Lion at some point). Shouldn't be very expensive, particularly if you can sell your older Mac to one of the irrational Lion-hater types.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.