Making some old games work on my Mac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought a mac and use it for general computer purposes and making music but this question is far too technical for me and google doesn't seem to be able to help when I search.

In a nutshell, I've been clearing out some old stuff and came across this

The Bitmap Brothers - Bitmap Brothers CD Compilation

I used to love the bitmap brother games on my amiga so bought this for pc a while ago but couldn't get it working back then. Now I have a mac I guess I have even less chance, but is there a way?

Please help me revisit my youth!!!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Tough ask! It will run just fine - on an old Windows computer. After all the software is nearly twenty years old!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That game is strictly for a PC. You may be able to run it on your Mac by installing Windows. Installing Windows can be done using the Boot Camp Assistant or by installing virtual software. Virtual software (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox) can be used to install Windows in a virtual machine. The game may or may not work well in a VM but if it's not graphic intensive it should be OK. VirtualBox is free so that would be my recommendation to use.

There is also WineBottler which can run older Windows games. I personally have that installed on this Mac and use to run old Windows 3.0 and Windows 95 games.

OP
R
Reaction score
Such a quick reply! Thanks guys. I don't feel old yet, but when you say 20 year old software.....

Sounds like some great advice about the virtual machines. No doubt with your help and a bit more googling to assist and may get this up and running. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

C

chas_m

Are these actual Windows games or DOS games? If the latter, I feel sure there are some DOS emulators for Mac around. If the former, you'll need a disc of Windows XP (I should think) and something like VirtualBox.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hmm, I think maybe DOS but I'm not sure. When I explore the disc there is a batch file which when I googled seems to refer to DOS. I may give up as I really do not have a clue about computers on a technical level.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.