• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie--new JVC hdd camcorder issue

S

Smedley

I tried to search, but I may not be searching the right keywords.

I just bought a new JVC camcorder, forget the model number, but its the one with the 20gb hdd in it.
The file extension it puts on the files is .mod. I can import these into the JVC software ONLY and can then convert them to whatever I want.
Problem is, even at the highest 1920x???hd mpeg4 format (mpeg 4 because iMovie doesnt read mpeg2)...the quality on playback is horrible compared to the original.
I havent tried recording the playback directly in iMovie and dont know if I can. I'm a n00b at this and will give it shot.

I guess my main question is how to do I get the proper video quality and be able to use iMovie to edit the video?
The JVC says it records in mpeg2, but it shows as a .mod file on the hdd which confuses me. I cant create the movie as a mpeg2 with the jvc software but iMovie cant edit an mpeg2, according to what I've found.

I hope this all makes some kinda sense and thanks in advance for your responses.

Scott---Video editing n00bie :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Put the camera in VCR mode, turn on iMovie and try to import it directly into iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Also I just found this on jvc's site

High-Quality MPEG-2 Video Recording (up to 720 x 480/60i in ULTRA mode with Dolby Digital Audio (MOD file)

OP
S

Smedley

Thanks for the info...

The only way to get the camera into a "vcr mode" is with the 1/8th" to RCA cable that you would normally use for the TV. My only way around this is to buy ANOTHER piece of hardware like a Dazzle unit. I'm sure this will work and may be my only solution if I want to keep this camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.