Puzzled about the need to download Firefox??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac OSX Mountain Lion
New iMac 10.7.3. Please help me understand why I need to download Firefox?

Let me explain. There is a financial site where I need to view pdf files. Site states that I need Adobe Reader. I've downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader, but still cannot view pdf files. So I called their customer support. They said I needed the Adobe Reader and Flash. I told them I had both. They then ask me what browser I was using, and I told them Safari.
The next statement was that I needed Firefox. WHAT???

Why would I need to download a new browser to view their pdf file? Safari, Preview, and Adobe Reader are sufficient to view all other pdf files in every other site.

I'm new to the Mac and don't want to "clutter" with stuff I don't need?

Thank you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, what bank is this? Do you have their URL? That makes no sense. If you have Adobe Acrobat installed you should have no issues at all. Preview is usually just fine with 99% of all the PDF's out there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You shouldn't need any of that - Safari has a built in PDF reader which will handle 99% of the PDFs thrown at it.

By the way, the Adobe reader browser plugin doesn't work with Firefox so I don't know what the person on the other end is talking about.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac OSX Mountain Lion
Thank you for quick replies. I did not think I should need Firefox.

This is not a bank. It is Securities America.

I'm not going to download Firefox just to view their statements. I will demand they continue to mail them to me.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
More IT staff seeing the Windows world exclusively!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not going to download Firefox just to view their statements. I will demand they continue to mail them to me.
I understand the frustration but is it really worth this just to avoid using Firefox? You'd only have to use it once in a while.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac OSX Mountain Lion
@ vansmith
Yes, you have a point. And eventually I probably will give in and download Firefox. I've never used Firefox, know nothing about it.
I'm still trying to learn my way around my new iMac. I've only had to call apple support 4 times...lol and now I've found this forum to help me too!

By the way, I love my new computer. Glad I made the switch!

Thanks

Thank you

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a web browser like many others so although it has it's subtle differences, it's the same as the others for the most part. Give it a try and see if you prefer it.

C

chas_m

It's not that FF isn't a perfectly fine browser, it's that there should NEVER EVER be a requirement to have to use a different browser just because some lazy Windows IT guy can't be bothered to make a site adhere to established, universal web standards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not that FF isn't a perfectly fine browser, it's that there should NEVER EVER be a requirement to have to use a different browser just because some lazy Windows IT guy can't be bothered to make a site adhere to established, universal web standards.
True (what makes you think it's a Windows IT guy though - bad web devs exist independent of the platform) but unfortunately, sometimes this is the case.

This was the whole point in spoofing the user agent - you circumvent the artificial restriction which would allow you to stick with Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
My mom has the same issue with her iMac, she has a family business and some insurance sites just don't work with safari or Firefox and they only work on chrome. I actually have several browsers that I use fr different things. Just use the one that you like and want to use. And then use the other if you have to use it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have all the major browsers installed but for a reason. Web Site testing and Browser testing. I was/am on the Webkit team as a tester.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.