mac mini airport help please

Reaction score
hi all,i bought a 2005 july mac mini g4 and it doesnt have an airport card installed,i was wondering whats the cheapest and best way to get wireless?will i need to buy an aiport card and if so which do i need?or can i just buy a usb internet dongle?any help is really appreciated,many thanks,andy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably not necessarily the cheapest, but the easiest way would be to look for a USB dongle that would work with the G4 Mini. That may not be easy to find, however. Opening up a Mini to add an airport card can be difficult. Take a look at the procedure here at the ifixit site. They might also sell the card.

OP
Reaction score
many thanks for the quick reply and for the link,so i could basically just buy a usb dongle and that would give me airport even without an internal card?i have had a look on the internet but because its 2005 nothing specifically says it works with that model?do you know of any that work with mac mini's and ill try and find out if my mac supports it?thanks for your time

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I stated above, even though the dongle would be the easiest solution it may be difficult to find one that works with a machine of that vintage. The problem would be getting the dongle to be recognized by the version of OS X the Mini is running. That means having the proper driver.

Off hand, I don't know of any specific dongle that would work. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of your machine would know. I think though in the meantime you should have a close look at the instructions I pointed you too on the ifixit site. As I stated before, they may also sell the card you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.