Adium lags badly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Hi guys,
Have a powerbook 1.67GHz with 1.5GB of RAM. None of my apps lag except Adium. If I have more than one chat window open, when I want my contact list to pop up, it is just slow! I have the latest version of Adium but running OSX 10.3 not 10.4

Any ideas what could be happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
With that little info, it's a bit hard to guess, but have you tried doing tabbed IMs instead of multi-window?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What other info do you need?

Tabbed IM's or multi-windows are the same, both lag terribly. It takes about 10-15 seconds before what I type shows up in the chat window.
Just trying to view the contact list can sometimes take up to 30seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure you've tried trashing it and reinstalling, but have you tried clearing not only the app, but the application support folder as well before reinstalling? Have you tried older versions of Adium? This will help narrow down the problem, which right now shows no hint of anything specific, especially given that you have PLENTY of RAM. My initial guess would have been that it was a program made for Tiger but you were running it on Panther, but Adium is compatible as far back as 10.1.5, I believe.

J

jn4jenny

Very strange...has this been happening for awhile, or just recently? Is there any chance that it's related to your web server?

If you just can't figure it out, try using Fire, which is another open source AIM/MSN/Yahoo client. I think Adium and Fire are virtual identical, so maybe it would be easier for you to just switch to a different piece of non-lagging software? fire.sourceforge.net

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
application support folder? I've trashed Adium from the application folder and reinstalled it and it sitll lags

jn4jenny: it's only just started happening. Thanks for suggesting Fire, will have a look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.