Can't get Azureus to work on new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
We just got a new 20 inch iMac, and I can't seem to get Azureus to work. I was using a slightly older version of Azurues on my old iMac with no problems. Now I just got 2.3.0.6 for my new computer, and it loads up fine, but then just endlessly searches for new updates. I have tried d/l torrents with it, and nothing happens. I have also tried using the actual BitTorrent client, and I can't get anywhere either. Like I said, I was using both of these programs on my old computer without any troubles, but on my new computer, somthing has changed that is making these torrent files useless. Hopefully somebody else has had this issue, and has some ideas on how to help me out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There shouldn't be any issue if you didn't change anything in your network setup. Have you tried Transmission?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
are you wireless? another client to try is tomato torrent, thats what i use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
i wouldn't even recommed azureus, try bits on wheels, a much better torrent program IMO.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
First of all, thank you for your replies so far. I still can't get any torrents to work on my new computer. The only difference that I can think of is that I had to phone my cable internet provider to have the modem "switched" over to a new computer. I have tried Tomato Torrent, Bit Torrent, and Azureus. In Azureus, it just endlessly searches for an update, and doesn't let me do a thing. In Bit Torrent, nothing happens, and in Tomato Torrent, it tells me that there is a problem connecting with the tracker. I have tried to completely turn off the Apple firewall, and this doesn't help at all. I'm starting to lose my mind since I'm sure that nothing else has changed. Hopefully somebody out there has also had this happen to them because I can't imagine a life without torrents.
Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
mrschmitt said:
First of all, thank you for your replies so far. I still can't get any torrents to work on my new computer. The only difference that I can think of is that I had to phone my cable internet provider to have the modem "switched" over to a new computer. I have tried Tomato Torrent, Bit Torrent, and Azureus. In Azureus, it just endlessly searches for an update, and doesn't let me do a thing. In Bit Torrent, nothing happens, and in Tomato Torrent, it tells me that there is a problem connecting with the tracker. I have tried to completely turn off the Apple firewall, and this doesn't help at all. I'm starting to lose my mind since I'm sure that nothing else has changed. Hopefully somebody out there has also had this happen to them because I can't imagine a life without torrents.
Thanks everyone.
Do you have a router? It doesn't sound like it. If you don't, I don't recommend turning your firewall off completely. Turn your firewall on and add place for Bittorrent by opening ports 6881-6999 that should cover any tracker. If you DO have a router you will need to open said ports there too. Look under port forwarding or someting similar. You should also set you Mac to have a static IP.

H

hubert_uk

Bittorent works fine

I got new iMAC 17" dualcore just few days ago(18 jan 2006), and I was aslo disapointed as Azureus, Aquisition would not work. Then I downloaded BitTorrent 4.3.5 and it works fine. Does not crash and has some good downloading speed. I hope it helps.
hubey

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of Tiger is on the machines that will not run Azureus? It could be 10.4.4 broke it. My 2.1 Ghz iSight iMac ran everything fine but have not tried a few things since the last update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Azureus works fine in 10.4.4 for me

C

codie

i have just gotten the second newist imac (no intel chipset, still got isight and stuff tho) and i had a little bit of trouble with azerues cause my ISP had blocked some ports, try changog your port and you may find it works, also other programs might use the port its on so use the tool to test it.

if you have done this already ingor this.

S

Soccerji

mine just does not load, click the app to run it, it appears in my dock then after 3 seconds it dissapears, anyone know why ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I got a new iMac too. it's a 17 inch. I've been having the same problems. Right now, I'm assuming that there's no torrent client that's supported by the dual core iMacs. Wait at most a few months, and they'll improve it.

Oh, and bittorrent runs SUPER slow for me (i know, torrents are supposed to be slow, but bittorrent is unbearably slow. I've used it on windows... MUCH better)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Hey guys. The reason azureus isn't loading has more to do with the newer intel macs. Sadly the azureus development team has done nothing to fix this yet, but there are hacked versions that fix the problem of not launching around the internet. Hope this helps. Schweb recommended Transmission which is a LOVELY torrent program. Give it a try!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Check out Aquisition. You have to pay for a subscription, but it's a one-time-only type thing. I did and it's amazing. Fast xfer rates too, both on searches and torrents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Azureus works fine on 10.4.2/3/4/5 for me. Did you make sure you have setup the ports correctly and that you have your firewall setup right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
I think this might have something to do with this last security update, I have 10.4.5 and use bits on wheels. Everything was fine yesterday but after that update the torrents wont start. Can someone back me up on this or better yet give me a solution.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I've installed the security update and everything is running fine, so that can't be it on my machine.

Reaction score
I'm using a Mac and running 10.3.9 and I'm using Azureus 2.4.0.2
(I have run the NAT/Firewall Test in Azureus and it says the port is OK.)

I have forwarded my port number and set up a static IP.

There are a series of stats at the top of the web page I'm downloading from that say that I am connectable; it lists my Port and does not tell me to go to Port Forward and downloads are enabled.

I started a download this morning. I got the green happy face for about ten minutes and then it turned into a yellow happy face and has stayed that way.

At the bottom of the Azureus window there are a row of colored buttons. The one that concerns me is labeled NAT.

When the green happy face turned yellow the NAT button at the bottom went from gray to red and now it says Firewalled instead of NAT.

I am still downloading albeit very slowly (6.1 kB/s) and nothing is being uploaded. I assume that's because, according to the site, I am the only person downloading.

Is there an Azureus user out there who can tell me if this seems normal? I'm a newcomer to the world of bit torrents and more than a little confused.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.