Looking for iLife

Reaction score
Hi, all..... Super Newbie here. I've been a Mac user for all of an hour now :)

One of the reasons I was turned on to Mac was the iLife software that was to be included. I purchased my Macbook Pro on Christmas last year and so I consider it a "new" one, but I can't find iLife anywhere on it. iPhoto, yes, but not iLife. Can anyone help me?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
iLife is not an application - it's a collection of apps (of which iPhoto is one). Take a look at this article about using iLife on a Mac that comes with Lion (scroll down to the "Restoring iLife applications after Internet Restore of OS X Lion" section which discusses how you "accept" iLife).

If you bought the machine brand new (from a retailer), iLife should be preinstalled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes it's like Microsoft Office. There's no single program called Microsoft Office, it's a suite of applications that includes Word, PowerPoint, etc.

C

chas_m

The iLife suite included on new Macs includes iPhoto (awesome, but has just been out-awesome'd by iPhoto for iOS, so I'm hoping Apple will soon revise the Mac version), iMovie (again, awesome) and Garageband (extremely awesome). I believe they no longer include iDVD or iWeb by default, as these programs are no longer supported.

As substitutes (should you need them), I'd suggest Burn, SimplyBurns (both free) or Toast (not free, but extremely versatile) for iDVD, and Rapidweaver for iWeb (depending on your needs, a free web-hosted service like blogger.com or wordpress.com might also be a great option).

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

Straight from the assembly-line and my friend installed mountain lion on it and... PUF, none of the 3 main apps/programs are there... :(

(first hour behind a mac too)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read the posts above yours especially the one from member chas_m.

Reaction score
The main reason I purchased an iMac was to transfer years worth of old vhs and Sony digital 8mm family movies to dvd. I was really impressed today when I ran a test using my old Sony 8mm with footage of my granddaughter with the firewire cord to my iMac and iMovie recognized the camcorder and imported the footage flawlessly despite the camera being one of the very first Digital 8mm cameras. I was likewise impressed with iMovie as far as the ease of use and all of the effects you can add. Then when I followed the iMovie help on how to create a dvd and found out that my computer shipped without it I started to get ticked off. Then when I spoke to the rude customer care rep who informed me that I could not download the app and was shocked that I had not inquired as to wether it was included before I bought the computer I was mad as H*LL! NOBODY I know who owns an Apple computer could believe what I was telling them when I told them this story. I am seriously considering boxing this thing up and sending it back for a refund.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then when I spoke to the rude customer care rep who informed me that I could not download the app and was shocked that I had not inquired as to wether it was included before I bought the computer I was mad as H*LL! NOBODY I know who owns an Apple computer could believe what I was telling them when I told them this story. I am seriously considering boxing this thing up and sending it back for a refund.

I can understand getting upset over what a not so nice customer service rep told you, however, why return a perfectly good machine over this? Just download a free replacement application for iDVD: "Burn".

If you're into making home movies and burning them to playable DVDs, Toast would probably be a much better choice but it's rather expensive. Occasionally, Toast is on sale as a bundle with other apps and can be had for as little as $49.95 (plus the other apps).

Reaction score
The thing is that it was purchased by the owner with the 3 programs, then he had it sent in for repairs and basically everything was replaced (except hard drive, processor - all internal stuff), then he got it back, installed mountain lion and handed it on to me and PUFF, iPhoto, Garageband and iMovie was missing.

The previous owner advised me that I contact App-support via phone because it -is- supposed to be there, just wanted to ask around before I called Apple and sounded like a total noob. ;)

Reaction score
Oh and where I'm from, the 3 apps are like 20$ each, so if they were lying on the harddrive somewhere... No sense using money for no reason...

Reaction score
Why in the world would they put a program as nice as iMovie on a machine without any ability to burn a dvd in the first place. I know there are all kinds of other ways to share this media but that to me at least is ridiculous.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You answered your own question - iMovie lets you make videos that don't need to be burned. In fact, most people email videos (if they're short) or they use online services.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You realize you CAN burn videos in the Finder. As long as there is no protection, you can burn anything in the finder.

I use Toast as to me it's the best total burning solution out there for OSX much like Nero is for Windows.

Reaction score
You answered your own question - iMovie lets you make videos that don't need to be burned. In fact, most people email videos (if they're short) or they use online services.

Yeah thats what I need to do e-mail about 200 plus hours of family movies. And I doubt most use online services for family movies. I now know that's what Apple wants you to do.
Stopped by the local Apple company store today to see if anyone there could help me with this. A couple of young guys said they would be more than happy to show me how to burn DVD's with my computer.Both of them went through all the steps with iMovie then scratched their heads looking for iDVD, that was no longer there. By the the time I left they had talked to half the employees in the store none of which could believe it was missing from the stores computers. Nobody had a clue and this was a company store, all of them remarked that they were going to have some pretty perturbed customers.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yeah thats what I need to do e-mail about 200 plus hours of family movies. And I doubt most use online services for family movies. I now know that's what Apple wants you to do.
I feel that I need to emphasize something in what I posted since it's important. Most people will use something like YouTube or an online service since it is more convenient. There is no doubt in my mind that a portion of users find such solutions completely useless.
Stopped by the local Apple company store today to see if anyone there could help me with this. A couple of young guys said they would be more than happy to show me how to burn DVD's with my computer.Both of them went through all the steps with iMovie then scratched their heads looking for iDVD, that was no longer there. By the the time I left they had talked to half the employees in the store none of which could believe it was missing from the stores computers. Nobody had a clue and this was a company store, all of them remarked that they were going to have some pretty perturbed customers.
I can certainly see why you're frustrated at the employees - iDVD was discontinued more than a year ago so why they were looking for something that hasn't shipped in a year is beyond me.

As has been mentioned, use Burn. It's free and it'll get the job done.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, can you not still burn in the Finder or is that missing from Mountain Lion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still available in Mountain Lion Dennis.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's there but I recommended Burn since it can do video DVDs. ;)

Reaction score
Van every person that I know that has an Apple computer uses it in some form to burn movies to dvd, none of them are as new as mine so they were unaware of this issue. My brother inlaw who has owned Apple computers for as long as I can remember was floored to hear about this. He was so uncertain of what I was telling him he had to see mine to believe it. He just came back from an Honor Flight trip to DC with his dad and put the movies from the trip on dvd for a lot of the vets that went. So yeah there is some segment of customers that are going to feel left out. That segment includes about everyone I know that currently owns an Apple computer. I just wish I had been made aware of this before I dumped almost 2k on this thing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Burn can. If you have a Video_TS folder though that is not protected, the finder will burn it I am pretty sure.

I just get shocked at people complaining when Windows only does the same thing stock as OSX and burns from Explorer. You still need a real burning App to make and burn a true DVD playable on a DVD player.

Main reason I said it a 2nd time is it seemed the OP was not reading what I wrote and faulting OSX. I have heard many complain about iDVD anyway and really never used it. Like and others have said, you want a first class burning program, purchase Toast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.