Powerbook - problem with green LEDs on keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
Problem with green LEDs on 15" PB keyboard

Hi there.

I'm new to macs and bought a 15" powerbook a month ago. Today I noticed that my num lock and caps lock keys are working, but the green LED lights are not toggling on and off; they don't work. While not a big deal, this is extremely annoying to me because I use Num lock all the time.

I tried restarting, but this didn't help. I haven't opened up the powerbook, spilled anything on the keyboard (in fact, I have one of those iskin covers for it), or abused it in any way; it's been sitting on my desk!

Any advice? Is this strictly hardware or did something get messed up? I'd hate to drive the hour to the Apple store and have to leave my powerbook there when it isn't necessary. It seems weird that both LEDs would fail at the same time. If the keyboard is loose or something, I'm going to be pissed. This thing is four weeks old and barely used. Shame on Apple.

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could this have anything to do with getting rid of Classic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
That's extremely unlikely. I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed

Meyvn said:
That's extremely unlikely. I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

I repaired permissions, and did a cold shut down and then turn on. Lights are working again. The repair and restart didn't work, but I guess the full shut down did. Must have been something with Classic, because it happened after I uninstalled it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Perhaps the cold shutdown rather than the restart allowed the keyboard to reset or something like that. Who knows? Glad you got it working again, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.