Mail issues

Reaction score
Ive recently set up my first MacBook and set up my hotmail email account but when I've read or deleted emails through my Macbook they are still saying unread on my iPhone, anyone any ideas how to sort this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like your Hotmail account is set for pop3. The features you are looking for generally work best with IMAP accounts. Hotmail doesn't really play nice with IMAP this may be a good workaround. Hotmail Has IMAP And Works On iPhone | Sir Slur

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Everything I have read says that the directions I linked to in that article fixes the problem for most users. Try following the steps in that article. When you get to Step 4 enlarge that picture and enter the information as it appears on that screen. Obviously enter your username and password other than that author's password.

I personally have not tried this since I don't remember ever having a Hotmail account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.