Finally Done! A Week into my new iMac...

Reaction score
So it arrived last Monday and I played around with my new 20" iMac G5 w/iSight and I must say: OMFG! This is a fantastic OS! In terms of usability, it really leaves XP in the dust.

I love the Applications Folder, so I know where to look for sftware and it's not all strewn all over the system.

The dock is a nice tool, the desktop is primarily a place fo mounting my iPod, HD's and Networks , so I use it much less han on Windows.

FrontRow is very nice, but you can't scroll forward very quickly and viewing trailers are still a bit buggy. Well, it IS a rev a version, so let's give it time and hope for a major update soon.

But it's afantasitc computer solution, it's sleek and clean on my desk and it's SO quiet!
My mom actually asked "where's the computer".

QUESTION: Should I update to 10.4.3 ? I am having no issues at all and, hearing all the talk about issues in 10.4.3 I thnk I'll wait it out until I feel need for an update.

QUESTION 2: I will buy extra RAM soon. I have 512 in the system, and I am wondering wheter to buy 512 extra so I have paired sticks to get 64 bit addressing OOORRR should I buy a 1Gig Stick which is just 50 bucks more?

BTW, how to insert pics in here? I wanna show you guys my nice new box!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if you are hosting the pictures on a website you would do this:

[img ]http://url[/img ]

but take the spaces out of the tag.

if you are putting them up from your computer there is a manage attachments section under the post reply, edit , or go advanced button

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
yogi said:
My mom actually asked "where's the computer".

Haha! When I got mine I set it up then I went to go talk to my Step-Dad about the internet configurations because it happened to be down at the moment. And I went back into my room and my mom was looking all around and was mad and was all "Where's the Hard Drive part?" And I lol'd at her. My dad actually said (as I previously owned an iBook) "Where'd you get that monitor? And where's your iBook that's hooked up to it?" It was pretty funny.

QUESTION: Should I update to 10.4.3 ? I am having no issues at all and, hearing all the talk about issues in 10.4.3 I thnk I'll wait it out until I feel need for an update.

QUESTION 2: I will buy extra RAM soon. I have 512 in the system, and I am wondering wheter to buy 512 extra so I have paired sticks to get 64 bit addressing OOORRR should I buy a 1Gig Stick which is just 50 bucks more?

BTW, how to insert pics in here? I wanna show you guys my nice new box!

Question 1: I just updated it because it's an update, and a fairly big one too, so I just did it. I don't think you need to, but it wouldn't hurt to.

Q2: I don't think and I probably don't know, but it shouldn't matter. What are you planning on doing? Also, know this: Don't buy from Apple! Their RAM is over priced. Look into Crucial.

The other question: Use IMG tags and put the link in which you have the image posted in inside the [ IMG ] and [ / IMG ] tags. Of course take out the spaces inside the tags.

Maybe I'll post pics of my dual screen iMac later :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
yogi said:

The iMac G5 without iSight could use 128-bit addressing when using memory in pairs. But it didn't get much benefit out of it and it had to be the exact same memory. Not just the same size, but exactly the same specs.
As the new iMac has 512MB onboad, it would be pretty time consuming to find an exactly matching memory module to add, and as far as I know, the new board doesn't support 128bit memory addressing anyway...
If you can afford the 50,- more, get the 1GB stick. With 1.5GB of memory, you won't have to worry much about not having enough. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
yogi said:
... viewing trailers are still a bit buggy.

If your referring to viewing HD trailers from the Apple site, then keep in mind their are different sizes. The 1080i may not be playable without see problems, but then you could try the 720p instead. Also remember your steaming them and if there are bandwidth problems it trailer may play for a bit, the stop while getting more content.

As far as upgrades go, I always wait a while to see if others report any serious problems. On the other hand I usually install security patches a day or two later unless someone reports a serious issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I think I heard on one of my podcasts that I listen to that there is now an update specifically for the new front row iMac's. Check your software update under the apple menu...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.