I really am buying an Apple...

Reaction score
Mr. Moderator, I know that recently there have been a rash of threads like this, but please observe my member date before trying to delete this one. I came on this board when the Mac Minis came out and I usually just read in an effort to learn as much as I can.

Now, having said that, I need a little help in my decision. This Intel changeover is really bugging me as I'm more of a traditionalist and I want an Apple Apple computer. I want what has made most of you so excited about it. An Intel processor isn't that.

My original plan was to simply buy a Mini, but as I've learned more, I have begun to think about an iMac. That was what I wanted a few years ago when I originally bought my PC and the feeling still lingers.

Here's what I'm looking at: I need a new monitor no matter what and I want a 17 inch, which will be about $250.00. Then I'm leaning heavily towards the $599.00 Mini because I have a DVD writer on my PC and I would want a Lightscribe if I got a new one. I'm not sure how much the KVM switch would be, but I'm guessing around $50.00. All in all, I'll spend at least $899.00.

But the 17 inch iMac starts at $1,299.00 and the $500.00 difference won't be that much of a problem for me since it is simply a better computer. However, if I get the iMac, then I will still want to replace the monitor that I have now for the PC and there really isn't any way to have both of these computers in the same place and I do need to use my PC for a few programs that simply don't work on an Apple.

From what I've read, a lot of you think that the Minis will get the new chip first, so I'm trying to get a timeline on when you think the iMacs will switch over. I may find that the Mini is really all I need for what I do and be done with it. Or I could absolutely fall in love with it and when I move into a different place within the year or so, find a way to justify having a Mini, iMac and a PC all in one apartment.

Or should I take the advice that I read in another thread and just buy an iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Hi,

I think that the intel thing is planned for June 2006 so a little time to go before anything happens and even if the rumours are true that it may happen sooner, you will still be able to pick up the powerPC versions.

As far as trying to choose between the iMac and Mac Mini, you haven't really said what sort of useage you require. Most users would be able to carry out anything they want to do on a mac mini with plenty of RAM. You have said yourself that you cannot have an iMac and your PC together so the sensible solution would be to have a switch and a mac mini. However, if there is a specific reason why you need the iMac, ie the G5 processor, then you will have to find some room..

You are correct in saying that the iMac is a superior system and you dont mind paying the extra but you need to ask yourself, will you actually benefit from the extras that you get with the iMac? Remember that you can upgrade ram and hd space.

Hope this helps

OP
K
Reaction score
First, thank you.

I guess what this hankering feeling really is about is that I usually(and sometimes feel more comfortable) buy more and find that it's a little too much than buy too little and then really regret it.

I don't think I'd even have this much trouble if the switch had never been mentioned as you can always turn the Mini into something else if you need more Apple.

Right now, all I really see myself doing is: internet/e-mail, light video editing, heavy writing, scanning documents(looking for the elusive paperless office) listen to music, light Photoshopping and I want to build a website with a message board.

Just start with the Mini and work from there?

P

pooface

You should be fine with a mini. I just ordered one and that's pretty much what I'm gonna be using mine for too. Someone who actually has a mac may prove me wrong though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I think you willl be more than fine with a mini. I own a g4 ibook and I run pretty much most programs you mention. I dont have 512mb in my machine and Im running tiger which recommends this amount and dont have too many probs, just some lags if I have a lot of consuming programs open...

I think you may benefit from some ram but most people on here say apple overcharge (i aint a techie so dunno) so it may be worth looking independently for this..I would think 1gb ram so an additional 512 should be more than sufficient.

If you cant or dont want to upgrade ram then it will still work fine but you may just have to be careful at trying to run too many apps at once..

OP
K
Reaction score
Okay, that's what I'll do and still feel comfortable. And besides, I can always upgrade, right?

One more question, however. What is Apple's equivalent to WinZip?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
StuffIt Expander. It comes preinstalled. It's good enough that I've never even thought about replacing it.

Reaction score
You should buy a PowerPC if you can! It wouldn't by an IntelMac just because they will be too new. They might not work properly.
Besides, your intel mac won't run any differently (depending of course on what you do).
You see, unless you're gonna compile programs or render a pixar movie (which is BAD for doing on a mini *hyuk* ) you don't need to worry about the processor.

For daily life, an iMac with a gig of ram is superb. Even a mini will do fine with enough RAM.

About Stuffit: It's fine for SIT files, but i've had trouble opening RARs .. i need UnRarX for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Mac World is the second week of January and there have been a couple of rumors of MacIntel releases for then that would be in your price range. If your not in a rush or need, then have the patience to wait it out.

With that said, I'll be surprised to see MacIntels that early.

Oh, and so many people have said that Apple stated the new machines wouldn't be released until June. That is not what was said. Steve Jobs announced at the 2005 June/July developer conference that MacIntels would be being sold by the 2006 conference. So that means Apple could release them much earlier than that, which I do expect to happen.

If you really want a PPC, then an option to keep the price down is to buy a refurb PPC. Many including my self have done that and have had no problems.

OP
K
Reaction score
Um, I think the last two respondees have my situation confused a bit. I don't want a MacIntel. I want and "old school" Apple. I was trying to get a timeline on when the iMac would switch over to see if I had enough time to see how much I like an Apple computer with the Mini and then consider getting an iMac.

Thanks to everyone for responding.

I've decided to get the new monitor and go with a Mini for now. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.