help Im in big trouble

Reaction score
The back story:I heard about raspberry pi and liked the idea but,raspberry pi is not a good idea for my family.So I got linux powered laptops for 3 of my 5 kids but for the youngest I got her a macbook,to represent the apple os.

The problem,my wife is going to be so mad,the mac book cost as much as the other 3 pc combined.So I need "return on investment"
Could y'all recommend software for an intelligent,creative 6yo that would show off the mac os?please
sorry about this post Im rushed and this is still a clandestine operation.I hope this is a good fun thread

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The back story:I heard about raspberry pi and liked the idea but,raspberry pi is not a good idea for my family.So I got linux powered laptops for 3 of my 5 kids but for the youngest I got her a macbook,to represent the apple os.

The problem,my wife is going to be so mad,the mac book cost as much as the other 3 pc combined.So I need "return on investment"
Could y'all recommend software for an intelligent,creative 6yo that would show off the mac os?please
sorry about this post Im rushed and this is still a clandestine operation.I hope this is a good fun thread

Is this a new or used MacBook? If you just purchased it...you have 14 days to return it.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Nope its a keeper.really though,take it back?I figure mavis beacon typing teacher.Id love to put adobe CS but I think thats way beyond her skill set.
Shes smart, shes 6,its hers.I make bold decisions sometimes good sometimes bad,but I stand behind them.Im hoping you guys can shorten my time in the doghouse.

let me rephrase the question(now that I have some leisure)
creative software for younger elementary students that might show off the snow leopard or lion platform?

thank you and namaste'

just saw your post cradom,Im on it

OP
O
Reaction score
I hate to doulbe post sorry admin
Cradom thats perfect,Im seeking recommendations

Im grateful Cradom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Some people have a very twisted mind if you ask me. -_-

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Click on the App Store Icon, then select categories, then Educational. A bunch of stuff there. Not too expensive either.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure there is much available for the Mac (and the Mac exclusively) that is targeted at young children that can justify the price difference. I'm in complete agreement with pigoo3 here - return it and buy her a Windows machine. You'll be better off that way given the dearth of really compelling software that is Mac only (that I know of) and tailored to young children.

Reaction score
Once you check out the apps in the app store educational group, check the link to the right labeled "Macs in Class".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope its a keeper.

If that's the case...I'm assuming in the 1 hour, 52 minutes since your original post...you broke the news to your wife & she's ok with it??;)

...really though,take it back?

Well...if you made a rash decision...and you're wife is going to be angry with you...then taking it back (if possible)...is a totally intelligent & mature option!:) And your 6 year-old may not "give a hoot" if she's using a Macintosh or a Windows computer!:)

Otherwise...you're still in trouble!!!;)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Some people have a very twisted mind if you ask me. -_-

Um your right and your wrong.The good people at Cambridge says were raising a generation of computer dorks that cant program to save their lives.They're pushing linux.I have 5 kids the youngest 2yo.I have a windows pc.The oldest kids are getting laptops dual booting kunbunto and backtrack. My 7yo is getting one dual booting sugar and kunbunto
My 6yo has it tough,so I decided to hook her up.She doesnt care what type of computer it is or how much it costs.But Id like to familiarize her with apple os then linux,.Its not about bling its about learning and exposing my kids,all my kids to different things.And I am a nut.

Thanks for all the great responses

The Oak thank you

Pigoo this is a clandestine op as long as I can keep it that way.With any luck the news will break at Easter.

Reaction score
Um your right and your wrong.The good people at Cambridge says were raising a generation of computer dorks that cant program to save their lives.They're pushing linux.I have 5 kids the youngest 2yo.I have a windows pc.The oldest kids are getting laptops dual booting kunbunto and backtrack. My 7yo is getting one dual booting sugar and kunbunto
My 6yo has it tough,so I decided to hook her up.She doesnt care what type of computer it is or how much it costs.But Id like to familiarize her with apple os then linux,.Its not about bling its about learning and exposing my kids,all my kids to different things.And I am a nut.

Thanks for all the great responses

The Oak thank you

Pigoo this is a clandestine op as long as I can keep it that way.With any luck the news will break at Easter.

Just throwing this out there: Why do kids age 2 to 7 all need their own laptop? What happened to playing outside? Hum..

OP
O
Reaction score
15yo,10yo,7yo,6yo and a 2yo.The 2yo doesnt get a laptop yet.The 6yo doesnt get alot of time on the pc.The 15yo and 10 yo get the lions share of pc time after me.The 7y was getting tutored via skype with his own loaner and I encourage him to go to hoodamath or cool math games.but I usually find him at cartoon network games.
the 15yo is a skater and the 10,7 and 6yo do popwarner football(go raiders).they get outside.

I dont mean to be rude,this is my first thread I know,but could we stay on topic?

Creativity software recommendations for younger elementary students

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15yo,10yo,7yo,6yo and a 2yo.The 2yo doesnt get a laptop yet.The 6yo doesnt get alot of time on the pc.The 15yo and 10 yo get the lions share of pc time after me.The 7y was getting tutored via skype with his own loaner and I encourage him to go to hoodamath or cool math games.but I usually find him at cartoon network games.
the 15yo is a skater and the 10,7 and 6yo do popwarner football(go raiders).they get outside.

YIKES...after reading that...my head feels like it's going to EXPLODE!!!;) Ha Ha!;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I second theoak's suggestion, but would also steer you to Photo Booth (which comes on Macs). A six year old will absolutely LOVE that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Oneness,

I think the investment will be seeing your 6year olds joy when using her MacBook, and the app store is a good place to start re software both fun and educational.

Or better still let your wife test drive it ( oh on second thoughts dont as she would probably want you to buy her one.);D:D

Reaction score
Photo Booth.

It is a Mac application that the kids in my elementary schools cannot get enough of. Coupled with iPhoto's ability to run slide shows that link to music in iTunes, and it's a creativity machine that kids as young as 4 can use with little instruction. I've watched kindergarten classes discover for themselves how to create slide shows from their Photo Booth images with minimal guidance from the teacher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't see how many of the applications included with OSX wouldn't be enough to keep a kid engaged or entertained. If you want more, you can browse the App Store and MacUpdate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Just throwing this out there: Why do kids age 2 to 7 all need their own laptop? What happened to playing outside? Hum..

THat's exactly my thoughts as well.
Don't mean to give parental advice, but children need to be children and not mini adults.
Playing outside, meet other children ( real ones, not virtual ) .... build a network, learn by playing.

When I was young(er ) ............... :Mischievous:

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't see how many of the applications included with OSX wouldn't be enough to keep a kid engaged or entertained.
Like what? Other than Photo Booth (which might entertain a child for a few hours), what is included with OS X that would engage a six year old? Better yet, what applications are included that are unique to OS X?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.