• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Syncing between NAS and external HDD

Reaction score
I have a MBP. I have a few hard drives. I have a 1TB GoFlex drive, a 500GB Goflex Satellite drive and a 2TB GoFlex Home NAS. My question is how to keep files synced between them. I use the drives for movie storage. My NAS is the main storage with the 1TB as the backup and the Satellite as a secondary back up for movies only. Right now I am forced to store two copies of each movies because I can't find a format that will stream from my NAS to my Sony TV and play on my iDevices. I save the movies in .mpg and .mp4 formats.

Is there an easy way to sync the files between the NAS, and both external drives? Right now I have to copy the movies to all drives and it takes a long time to make sure all movies are synced. Also, to ensure all movies are on all drives, I have to go through the drives file by file to make sure I have all movies on all my drives. I am looking for an auto sync tool to sync the files between all drives.

And as a secondary question, does anyone know of a file format that is playable on Sony TV's and iDevices? I have pretty much tried them all. Even though the Sony owners manual lists a few formats it will play, it doesn't play any format that is iDevice compatible. Not even H.264 video.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which model of Sony TV do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Mpeg-2 only! ouch. Typical of Sony to select a random element. especially when the PSP and PS3 natively support MP4

What I'd suggest is that you get a NAS that supports something like Twonky, that can transcode your video on the fly for all your devices.

But in reference to your syncing question there are many sync apps around but your issue is going to be how everything is connected as they'll all need connected via your Mac and the network/USB and it'll be quite slow to sync.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have a GoFlex Home NAS. I looked at the Twonky website but couldn't really figure out how it works. Can you explain it to me please? I see my TV is supported but saw nothing about my NAS. Does and app need to be installed on the TV and the NAS and all my devices to play media content? Couldn't really figure out how it all came together.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Twonky is a media server application. Some NAS drives (not yours I'm afraid) are customisable/powerful enough to run basic applications like this.

Twonky (amongst other media servers) receives requests from network devices and transcodes videos on-the-fly to the format desired by the requesting device.

So a media server connected to your network would serve mpeg2 to your TV but serve mp4 to your iOS devices.

None of that solves your problem. Unfortunately I'd suggest that your biggest stumbling block is your TV.

What I'd do is convert everything to MP4 and get yourself a ROKU box to connect to your TV and just not use the MPEG2 facility built-into the TV. The ROKU box and your iOS devices will all be able to access the MP4 content and you won't have to maintain multiple file versions etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleTV can read direct from a NAS but....... It has to be jail broken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.