• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

4.6" screen for the iPhone 5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Probably not. One reason why the current display size is so perfect is because you can hold it and use it in one hand. Also this would add an odd screen resolution to iOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 " Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz HD 320, iPhone 3GS 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB; New Ipad 32GB WIFI
A bigger screen??

I'm so glad I have the 4S -- the size and display are perfect. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If it still carries the top and bottom portions, I won't like the screen size. If they increase the screen size by eliminating the top and bottom portions that are useless, I will like it because the phone's physical size won't have to change much to accommodate the increased screen size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ever watch someone with those extra large phones try and get them out of there jean pocket in a hurry one of the many entertainment values at your local Starbucks.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't believe what I'm reading. Some of you are actually trying to justify the joke of a screen size of the 4s at 3.5". Where in today's smartphone market it's common to see android phones with screen sizes in the 4.6-5.3" size. Apple used to be an innovator not a follower (actually they still are with other technologies). Apple has only now got with the program with the "New iPad" (iPad3). Apple needs to take this opportunity with the upcoming iP5 to remain competitive in the smartphone market..

Apple Corp has the smarts and the resources.

No 4.6" screen and widgets in the iP5? I'm going android phones. Maybe the Samsung Galaxy Note (5.3" screen). And who in their right mind puts their smartphones in their pants?? LOL!! Not too smart.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPhone screen size will not change..WILL not..I can say that with absolute certainty..while every other manufacturer is trying to find that high screen size threshold when customers ACTUALLY start saying "this is too big", Apple is going to stick with what it's decided on after a lot of research.

Apple is, first and foremost, a design company with a lot of talented engineers making those designs a reality. A lot of work goes into choosing each of the components for these devices and they didn't settle on the screen size or the single home button and other aspects just willy nilly..

I surely can't say the same for many other manufacturers..

Also, forget about the widgets..not going to happen on the standard iOS..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Can't believe what I'm reading. Some of you are actually trying to justify the joke of a screen size of the 4s at 3.5". Where in today's smartphone market it's common to see android phones with screen sizes in the 4.6-5.3" size.
The majority of all smart phones are sold with a 3.5 to 4" screen. 4.6 to 5.3 is NOT common! I guess you must be a giant in order to find a 4.6 OR a 5.3" screen remotely comfortable. The difference going from a 3.5" to a 5.3" is worse than going from a 5.3" phone to a 7" tablet. I bet you wouldn't find the tablet comfortable! If you need that kind of action on a screen, there are things for that...like a tablet! Android can keep their gigantic screens...they can't even come up with s similarly dense pixel screen to actually make it look good.

[/quote]Apple has only now got with the program with the "New iPad" (iPad3).[/quote] Say what?

Apple needs to take this opportunity with the upcoming iP5 to remain competitive in the smartphone market..
Funny...iPhones sales are still dominating. Don't fix what aint broken. If people wanted a large screen, they CLEARLY had the choice, and didn't choose it. That pretty much says everything.

No 4.6" screen and widgets in the iP5? I'm going android phones. Maybe the Samsung Galaxy Note (5.3" screen). And who in their right mind puts their smartphones in their pants?? LOL!! Not too smart.
bye, no one is stopping you!
Well, I know it would be PRETTY difficult putting a 5.3" "tablet" in your pocket. My iPhone fits just fine in all my pockets.

Reaction score
I doubt the screen size will change. If they though a bigger size was better they would have done it from the start.

Reaction score
Although I don't think the next phone will ahve a larger screen, I do have to wonder if they will still be making a 3.5" screen when the iPhone 7 or 8 rolls around. It would be nice to have a 4" one.
That little half inch can make a big difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That little half in can make a difference. The difference between fitting in your pocket and not fitting in your pocket.

Plus, retina won't be a crisp.

Reaction score
If Apple goes with a large screen and that is the only option they provide, I would be finding a new manufacturer the next time around. I do NOT expect a phone to do all things. My first expectation for a phone is that it operate as a phone effectively. The large smart phones are attempting to bridge two worlds that I don't need bridged. They are clumsy, too big to fit well in a pocket or my hands, and will eventually get dropped by me.

If my primary need is to be online, I'll use my iPad or laptop. If my primary need is to communicate, I'll use my phone.

I love innovation, but not simply for the sake of innovating. It needs to meet MY needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm betting on a 4" AMOLED Gorilla Glass LCD. 4" wouldn't be too much of a compromise between useability and size. You also have to consider that if Apple decides to put a quad core graphics processor in the iPhone, it will also need a newer, and likely bigger battery. If the battery is bigger, the housing will be bigger. If the housing will be bigger, then so will the LCD.

:D

Doug

Reaction score
You can bet your bottom dollar that it will be a "Retina Display". Any guesses as to what this would scale up to @4 inches and @4.6? As in xx pixels by yy pixels.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think they're going to have to increase the screen size because one feature Apple does need to include in the iP5 is 4G LTE support. Which will require a larger battery (e.g. "new iPad"...thicker....and warmer hah!). So the iP5 will be slightly thicker and/or larger. Might as well take this opportunity and include a 720p 4.6" screen. WITH WIDGETS!! :)

I know I'm not the only Apple fan hoping for a larger screen in the next iPhone. Not having a larger screen or 4G LTE support was on the list of wants for many fans (polls taken on various sites) and smartphone review sites. I thought that was the consensus till I posted this thread.

And again...pant pockets?? Who puts smartphones in pant pockets? (besides teens wearing stupid looking baggy pants). You sit the wrong way or too fast one day...forgetting you have the phone in your jeans pocket and SNAP!!! POP!!! And if it's too hot out for any type of jacket I either put my phone in a camera bag or laptop bag (for obvious reasons). Other than that I either carry the phone in my hand or leave it in the car or at home (e.g. gone biking...even then I might have a small backpack w/ hydration pouch anyway...toss my phone in one of the compartments).

If you're married make the warden carry it in her purse. :)

Any how we'll see how Apple goes with the iP5. Will I get the chance to tell some of you "I told ya so!!?". Hmmm... Cya you all after the announcement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John Gruber, who is usually spot on about Apple rumors:
Lots of attention on this rumor, but no one seems to be pointing out that if it’s true, this new iPhone would need way more pixels than the current 960 × 640 iPhone display. That means every app in the App Store would need to be redesigned/resized. For this reason and others, I say it’s ********.

Reaction score
And again...pant pockets?? Who puts smartphones in pant pockets? (besides teens wearing stupid looking baggy pants). You sit the wrong way or too fast one day...forgetting you have the phone in your jeans pocket and SNAP!!! POP!!!

We obviously run in different circles as the majority of men I know keep their phones in their pant pockets. Of course OUR pants have front pockets which apparently your must not (or you frequently sit in VERY awkward positions!).

I've been carrying my phone in my front pocket since before the original iPhone came out. Never had a single issue with placing it there. Maybe you need to find an alternative to skinny jeans.
mathews_tongue.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Can't believe what I'm reading. Some of you are actually trying to justify the joke of a screen size of the 4s at 3.5". Where in today's smartphone market it's common to see android phones with screen sizes in the 4.6-5.3" size. Apple used to be an innovator not a follower (actually they still are with other technologies). Apple has only now got with the program with the "New iPad" (iPad3). Apple needs to take this opportunity with the upcoming iP5 to remain competitive in the smartphone market..

Apple Corp has the smarts and the resources.

I have been carrying cell phones in my front jeans pocket since day one never had any damage occur and apparently its the norm her in Houston must be different there.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't see this as particularly credible. On the otherhand the rumor that the next generation will feature a 4 in screen seems to have some basis-- or at least the other rumor sites find it to be more believable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.