Character map for fonts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
hi guys, i'm designing a custom font for my job, and id like to make a key combination where itll put out a small logo. Ok thats cake! however, how the heck do i know what keys will trigger it on mac? OPTION+what?

i know on windows theres CharacterMap thatll show me ALT+xxx and that works

anything like that on mac?

thanks in advance guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but check out

Finder>Edit>Special Characters.

There may be some info in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I don't know how to change the logo but if you press Option + Shift + K you get an apple logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" c.2007
Keycaps - How to see what key types what symbol?

Hi--I have a similar question, albeit 5 years later!

For Dingbat, Webding, and Wingding fonts, how can I see what key will type what character? The only way I can do it now is to type out every character on the keyboard and change the font to try and figure out which key types which character in that particular font.

There must be a much simpler way, I mean, this is Mac?!

Any help will be appreciated!

THANKS!
--Kevin

C

chas_m

In Snow Leopard, you would turn on "Keyboard and Character Viewer" by going to System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Input Sources -> check the box next to "Keyboard and Character Viewer."

You'll now see a little flag (representing the language of your choice) in the menubar. Click it to reveal the character and keyboard map you're looking for.

Reaction score
Character Viewer, Keyboard Viewer

It's true that the Character viewer shows Wingdings and Dingbats, etc. but in a very limited and convoluted way. What I'd like to see is a graphic representation of a keyboard where I can choose a font and see to what key each symbol is mapped. I'm in the same position as kpbarbee above. When I'm looking for a special character I have to just start hitting keys until I see it appear. I've tried searching the web but I can't find a thing.
petemay

C

chas_m

The directions I posted above your query will give you a "graphic representation of a keyboard" and show you all the STANDARD special characters and how to achieve them.

If you want something more elaborate than that, try PopChar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.