Studio Monitors.

M

macaudiodj

What studio monitors do you use?

I am running two resolv65's, two ns-10's, two custom made speakers (Each has 4 8" subs and 2 tweeters), a pair of B2031's, and a modded JBL E 250p. Not bad for a 15 year old is it?
Btw...I hit 129.5db at the headrest on my chair. :headphone

OP
M

macaudiodj

Because..... I run my own low budget studio....... And I am an audioholic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
doesn't sound low budget to me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
low budget = Stolen ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I do, except I'm 13 and our recording are low quality. Check out this song I recorded when I was 9: http://myspace.com/apvod. The song is by a band called Rocklin Motel, not sure if they're around anymore. Our label is called AP Vod (Which is really like ten million different things) and we record our friends stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Aha... 129.6db and an audioholic (whatever that means).
That's unbearably loud and definitely can't sound good.

Sound quality doesn't measure in decibel.
It's easy to build a loud setup, but one that sounds good is a whole different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Avalon said:
Aha... 129.6db and an audioholic (whatever that means).
That's unbearably loud and definitely can't sound good.

Sound quality doesn't measure in decibel.
It's easy to build a loud setup, but one that sounds good is a whole different story.

THANK-YOU!!!! So many people base good sound off of their high decibel levels, when in reality, good sound shouldn't have to be that loud in the first place.

OP
L

lil

Well, if I listened to my stuff at that level, I could guarantee that I wouldn't be able to hear anything after a few years :flower: Not that I am an audiophile in any shape or form.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
129.6 dB... Isn't that equivalent of a jackhammer/machine gun? Turn it down or your recording won't be the only thing that's suffering. 130dB is about the threshold of pain. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
129.6dB.. Isn't that about what the music is at in most bars/clubs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
punkr0x0r said:
129.6dB.. Isn't that about what the music is at in most bars/clubs?

http://www.hearinglossweb.com/Medical/Causes/nihl/diff.htm

according to this it peaks at 150dB. A jackhammer is 130dB. Take into account - he said 129.6dB at the headrest at his chair. That'd be comparable to standing a 2-3 ft from a wall of speakers at an AC/DC concert. Do you stand that close to that kind of sound, everyday in front of your computer, no less? Who measures the dB ratings of their stereo anyway? Certainly not someone concerned with quality, but rather how many neighbors they can tick off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
deus_ex_machina said:

according to this it peaks at 150dB. A jackhammer is 130dB. Take into account - he said 129.6dB at the headrest at his chair. That'd be comparable to standing a 2-3 ft from a wall of speakers at an AC/DC concert. Do you stand that close to that kind of sound, everyday in front of your computer, no less? Who measures the dB ratings of their stereo anyway? Certainly not someone concerned with quality, but rather how many neighbors they can tick off.

Totally agreed... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
deus_ex_machina said:
Who measures the dB ratings of their stereo anyway? Certainly not someone concerned with quality, but rather how many neighbors they can tick off.

how about someone's who's into audio? i agree that louder doesn't mean better, i like my music to sound good at a listenable level, but i appreciate the effort some people put in to get to listen to their music how they want, simply because they enjoy it.

OP
T

Tel

hollerz.mac said:
how about someone's who's into audio? i agree that louder doesn't mean better, i like my music to sound good at a listenable level, but i appreciate the effort some people put in to get to listen to their music how they want, simply because they enjoy it.

There are a lot of people who enjoy shooting up on heroin too, would you defend them? No, because they're doing serious damage to themselves for a small amount of enjoyment.

Listening to music that loud everyday is going to cause serious hearing issues, and considering this kid is only 15 what happens when he turns 18 and wants to go to uni to study sound engineering but can't even hear his tutor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
Tel said:
There are a lot of people who enjoy shooting up on heroin too, would you defend them? No, because they're doing serious damage to themselves for a small amount of enjoyment.

Listening to music that loud everyday is going to cause serious hearing issues, and considering this kid is only 15 what happens when he turns 18 and wants to go to uni to study sound engineering but can't even hear his tutor?

lol yeah, thats a good point. i'm not trying to start an argument or anything btw. and besides, no-one said he listens to his music at 129db everyday, i doubt he does! I'm just making the point that getting music to go that loud and sound relatively good takes a lot of effort and knowledge of speaker box design etc., maybe he enjoys this aspect of sound too, making speaker boxes (he said he has custom made speakers), and the 129db is just a record of his achievement.

OP
S

Seamus

I agree hollerz.
I am an audio nut case and spend WAAYYYY to much time on different audio forums.
In general I want a speaker with a flat Frequency Response and the ability to sound good at ridiculous db levels as well as low ones.
I commend any 15 year old who has taken the time to build his own speakers and record his own music.

OP
M

macaudiodj

My setup does not sound bad at all. And I never run my speakers that loud, one day my friend brought his spl equipment over and we did it, my normal its any where from 65-90db.

Thank you hollerz.mac its nice to have some one realize that I am not crazy, and I am not going to be deaf by 18. I do the speaker building for fun......... And the producing my music, I take very seriously.
My system has extremely flat response and it has the frequency rage normally unheard of. Its not just loud..... like some kids who put 45 12" subs in the Honda civic, and run 4 billion watts (thats crazy). I just love having an extremely well sounding monitor setup that CAN go very loud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Who dosen't want to see just how good their system is? But I wear shotgun earplugs doing it because I have a very good hearing range, and want to maintain it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.