• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

No idea what editing software to use

Reaction score
Hey I registered to these forums solely to ask one question.

I love to edit videos and take it pretty seriously (so no imovie) I used to use Final Cut Pro 5 until I had to upgrade my Macbook to snow leopard. When I did this I couldn't use FCP5 any more. It says i 'do not have the hardware needed' without any further explanation. I feel pretty shafted by apple.
I tried FCP 7 but all it tells me is that I 'do not have enough vram' and I've tried hitting esc when the message comes up but it does nothing. I had never even heard of vram before.

So I'm sitting here with my editing taken away from me and all I did was buy snow leopard. I feel like I'm being punished for it

My mac is currently 2ghz intel core 2 duo, mac osx 10.6.8, 2 gb ram. I bought it a few years ago and my understanding of the situation is that my older hardware and newer operating system aren't great friends and I'll have trouble finding a final cut version that will work for me.

So what I would love some help with is knowing what editing software I can actually use on my laptop.
I ordered a new camera which will use AVCHD format.

It does not have to be Final cut PRO, express or something would do. But everythings so costly that I can't exactly afford to keep getting new ones to try out, there always seem to be some completely hidden reason why software won't work on a mac book.

As Macbooks are so expensive, a new one is out of the question. I can't believe it but I'm actually considering buying a cheap PC laptop solely to get some software that actually works and will stay working. So please please please save me from having to go back to PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think this is one area that Apple have done badly in, and haven't really thought about their customer base.

You might be able to find a copy of FC Express online that will work with your Mac and OS, otherwise you might want to consider Adobe's efforts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac: OS 10.6.8
If you're really serious about editing movies you will need to upgrade your hardware. I can't see doing much editing on a laptop. You need a desktop like the imac and with at minimum 3.06 ghz and 4 GB ram.

Imovie 9 is nothing to scoff at and with your setup should work fine, and cheap too.

C

chas_m

I can't believe it but I'm actually considering buying a cheap PC laptop solely to get some software that actually works and will stay working. So please please please save me from having to go back to PC

If you seriously believe that:

a. a cheap PC laptop will let you edit video and
b. that you'll never have to spend money upgrading a cheap PC to get it to do what you want to do

all I can say to that is that you may need some more real-world life experience.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Why did you have to upgrade to snow leopard?

OP
L
Reaction score
I had to upgrade to use other software that I needed for a university course I was doing.

I just checked out Adobe premiere elements 10 there and it looks pretty decent. Good value too £60.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll let you know how/if it all works out

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I had to upgrade to use other software that I needed for a university course I was doing.

I just checked out Adobe premiere elements 10 there and it looks pretty decent. Good value too £60.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll let you know how/if it all works out

Thanks and hope it works for you. I use Adobe PSE but have never tried Premiere. I think you can download a free trial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.