iMac G4 1GB memory upgrades available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

iMac G4 1GB memory upgrades available
November 20, 2003 - 06:34 EST Trans Intl. today announced the availability of 1GB (Gigabyte) DDR333 (Double Data Rate) memory upgrade modules for the recently released Apple iMac G4 15-inch 1GHz Combo Drive, the iMac G4 17-inch 1.25 GHz Super Drive, and the iMac G4 20-inch 1.25 GHz Super Drive, which enables the system's main memory to be expanded up to 2GB. Pricing and availability are available from the Web site.

My Comments: Not bad at all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
....Why not from Apple

If you can expand the iMac's memory to 2 GB, then why can't you have apple do that for you? On the iMac's site it only allows up to 1GB????

Can someone clarify this, or am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
*Do I get a reward for reviving an old thread?

The Apple site will always tell you that the G4 (1.0 & 1.25) iMacs will only support up to 1GB total RAM. I have a 1.25 G4 iMac and have the stock 256MB RAM in the factory slot and a 512MB stick in the user slot. I called Apple Help and they told me the G4 iMac can, safely, be upgraded to a max of 2GB of RAM. The catch is this: they told me that if you have Applecare and need to send your machine in for repair, you must put the RAM back to a max of 1GB as they will not offer help and/or support for anything over 1GB RAM.

I just bought a 1GB stick of RAM from Crucial.com and put it into the user slot and noticed a big kick in the pants. Much faster and much smoother operation using Tiger 10.4.2 and Photoshop.

I'll keep the 512MB RAM stick set to the side for the odd chance I would have to use my AppleCare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.