• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

W00t.. just cuz I'm happy

T

TeckniX

I wasn't sure where to post this up, but I figured I'd share my luv for my very first owned brand new mac LOL
It's actually really cool, but a very weird feeling when I look back at the money spent.
But here it is:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.3 (8F46)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.3.0

Although now I keep on wondering if I shouldn't change to the X11 window system :\ anyone wanna give their input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Congrats, that's a nice machine.

Why though would you want to chance to the X11 window system? There's like zero need to do that.

OP
L

lil

It doesn't quite work like that. Mac OS X has its own window server, essentially that's the Aqua user interface that you see every time you use your Mac, to replace it with X11, well that would be akin to essentially using Darwin (the BSD core of Mac OS X) - and loosing the beautiful UI and loosing out on some genuinely great 'native' Mac OS X programs.

If you hear things about Cocoa/Carbon - they're not the same thing (a misnomer if you will) as they aren't a user interface system per se.

X11 is there for apps you have compiled or installed that aren't Mac specific applications. As such it is there for when you want to run these applications such as GIMP, OpenOffice.org and other assorted bits, see the attached screenshot.

Aqua and X11

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.