Mac Mini with LG 1080p monitor? As home PC server?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I recently posted asking about replacing my desktop multimedia PC (Win7) with a Mac Mini. Well, I revived my PC with a new power supply (it failed), more RAM, new case fan, and added some USB ports (found that I had unused USB ports on my HP-ASUS motherboard, yay!)...

Well, I'm looking to move this multimedia machine, equipped with Blu-ray, 3 TV tuners (2 cable, 1 ATSC) to my living room to function as my cable box/DVR/media box on Comcast... Windows Media Center is pretty awesome for those who haven't used it and it has absolutely zero fees or costs other than the hardware cost ($110 tuner box, one time cost).

"Questions" highlighted in bold below:
If I do that (and it seems likely I will), I am considering a Mac Mini as my new "desktop" workhorse machine.... This machine would need to essentially serve as a very basic file server (SMB files, or potentially install Bonjour on client Win7/Vista machines?), printer server (Again, SMB or would Bonjour be needed?), and serve as a basic desktop PC with Microsoft Office, photo editing software (free preferred, but may try to locate a cheap used copy of Photoshop CS3 or CS4), and this may be my first step into a mostly-Mac household... I have to start somewhere. Our laptops are still viable (probably another 1yr on wife's and 1.5yrs on mine, both HP laptops), but I would seriously consider a Macbook Pro as replacements, especially if they end up doing a Retina display on them.

I also want to know if the Intel video version will easily (smoothly/fluidly) handle my LG 23" monitor at 1080p resolution? Currently my machine runs an old, but still reasonably powerful, GeForce 8500GT 512MB, which even though 5 years old, greatly outpowers the Intel chip... Nonetheless, I do not plan to do any 3D work at all, so....

Input welcomed.

OP
Z
Reaction score
No comments? I know n00bs are annoying, but isn't that what this particular subforum is for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Give it a little more time ZeroTX, someone will come along who is knowledgeable in this area and will give you an answer.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I have my trusty credit card out and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new desktop PC while moving my current media pc to the living room TV set... I really need to know if I should even try the Mac Mini or just go with a Windows-based PC.

I'm considering the basic Mac Mini (2.3ghz i5, 2GB, 500GB) for $599 vs. one of my options, which is an HP Pavilion (3.3ghz i3, 8GB, 1.5TB) for $499. In specs alone, the HP seems like a ton more for the $$, but I have an interest in Macs potentially, particularly for my next laptop, and it seems like it might be good to eventually convert the whole house (except for the Windows Media Center, which Apple still hasn't tried to compete with).

So... file shares, printers, is it going to be easy? If not, I'm going the easy route and I'll do the Mac thing later, if I can afford it.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.