Apple care vs best buy protection plans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac mid 2011
Just bought my daughter an apple macbook pro for her to take off to college in fall. Which service would you purchase?
BB plan for 3 years covering all accidental damage including spills is $459 vs a $259 for apple care that doesn't cover that.
I want to purchase something as its a kid taking it to college and I am thinking it will get some hard use.
Thoughts?
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just bought my daughter an apple macbook pro for her to take off to college in fall. Which service would you purchase?
BB plan for 3 years covering all accidental damage including spills is $459 vs a $259 for apple care that doesn't cover that.
I want to purchase something as its a kid taking it to college and I am thinking it will get some hard use.
Thoughts?
thanks

Like you mentioned...the BB plan covers accidental damage & spills...the Applecare plan does not (of course you pay for that extra coverage)...$459 vs. $259.

Also be aware (the last time I looked into it)...the BB plan only covers ONE accident.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Bear in mind that the service you'll get at an Apple store or their helpline will be a lot better than at Best Buy, and even if Apple Care expires, you get pretty preferential treatment at the stores when there is a problem with your machine, with a cap on repair costs (which is unofficial, but fairly well understood).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Bear in mind that the service you'll get at an Apple store or their helpline will be a lot better than at Best Buy, and even if Apple Care expires, you get pretty preferential treatment at the stores when there is a problem with your machine, with a cap on repair costs (which is unofficial, but fairly well understood).

I would certainly 2nd everything mentioned!:) As well as say that sometimes Apple/Apple Store will repair things that are out of warranty.

One additional thing as well. If the BB policy is purchased...the computer still comes with 12 months of complementary Applecare...so for at least the first 12 months...there would be "double" coverage in some areas.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may also want to check with your home owner's insurance to see if it covers loss or theft of that new MacBook Pro. The chances of her new MBP getting stolen at college are lot greater than spills or accidental damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
BB or Apple Care

Go with the Apple Care and just tell your daughter not to use her MBP as a coaster. Save $200 and having your daughter accept responsibility for her new computer - priceless!

Apple Care has always taken care of my families occasional Mac and iPhone issues and even addressed some issues I was unaware of. I will say that since I live relatively close to the local Apple Store service has been very convenient as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
A good cable lock could also save your daughter some grief when she leaves her dorm.

Reaction score
Check out worthavegroup.com. They offer extended warranties and insurance (theft, vandalism, accidents, etc.) for a pretty good price compared to other companies that only offer extended warranties.

Reaction score
Thoughts?
thanks

I have a college freshman here, go with the BB coverage, no matter how careful your girl is, all it will take is one clumsy room mate, stumbling with a glass of water in her hand & that Mac will be a paperweight. You obviously want your child to care for her things but being in settings involving lots of other people adds an extra level of situations out of her control where her Mac could be damaged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.