Safari question

Reaction score
Hey all -

I was having a bit of trouble this morning with safari and hoping you guys could help out. For some reason every time I opened safari, it was opening in another desktop. I know I went to bed last night and that was not happening, but this morning no matter what I did it kept opening another desktop. Any ideas what happened or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was having a bit of trouble this morning with safari and hoping you guys could help out. For some reason every time I opened safari, it was opening in another desktop. I know I went to bed last night and that was not happening, but this morning no matter what I did it kept opening another desktop. Any ideas what happened or how to fix it?

I'm not sure why it started happening, unless you accidentally changed the preference before you went to bed. Right-click on Safari in the Dock to get the context menu. Go to Options, then at the bottom, under Assign To, does it say "This Desktop" or "Desktop 2"? If so… change it to what suits you.

C

chas_m

More likely, he's accidentally put Safari in Full-Screen mode.

Any app that is opened in full-screen mode goes into a separate "space" for hopefully obvious reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm with chas_m on is. Most likely full-screen mode. To disable it, there should be a button in the menubar, near Spotlight that has 2 arrows, in opposite corners, click it and it should put Safari back into the correct space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP says it opens in "another desktop" every single time he runs it. I don't know about you guys, but when I run Safari in full-screen mode, it only stays that way for that session. Quit Safari (or even just close the window) when it's full-sreen, and next time it's run, it's not in full-screen mode. I also doubt most people understand that running in full-screen mode technically is another desktop space.

I know there is a way to make an app always run in full-screen mode, but it's one obscure trick. I suppose he could have triggered it accidentally. *shrug* Well maybe he'll post back with results or clarification.

OP
H
Reaction score
OP says it opens in "another desktop" every single time he runs it. I don't know about you guys, but when I run Safari in full-screen mode, it only stays that way for that session. Quit Safari (or even just close the window) when it's full-sreen, and next time it's run, it's not in full-screen mode. I also doubt most people understand that running in full-screen mode technically is another desktop space.

I know there is a way to make an app always run in full-screen mode, but it's one obscure trick. I suppose he could have triggered it accidentally. *shrug* Well maybe he'll post back with results or clarification.

You hit the nail on the head. It never happened again after "minimizing" the screen. Thank you so much for all the info. Now, if I can figure out why my mailbox keeps repopulating with emails I have deleted over a thousand times. I would be good to go.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You hit the nail on the head. It never happened again after "minimizing" the screen. Thank you so much for all the info.

I did, or they did? LOL!

EDIT: Oh I just realized something. I have the "restore windows" option disabled system-wide, which is why my windows don't automatically go back to full-screen mode if I quit them when full-screen. Doh!

Now, if I can figure out why my mailbox keeps repopulating with emails I have deleted over a thousand times. I would be good to go.

Sounds like they aren't deleted from the server after you download them. What mail service are you using? Does it use IMAP or POP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I did, or they did? LOL!

EDIT: Oh I just realized something. I have the "restore windows" option disabled system-wide, which is why my windows don't automatically go back to full-screen mode if I quit them when full-screen. Doh!

I have the restore windows setting disabled too, and I run iTunes full screen. When I quit iTunes full screen, it relaunches full screen.

But just checked with Safari, and that doesn't. Weird.

OP
H
Reaction score
I did, or they did? LOL!

Sounds like they aren't deleted from the server after you download them. What mail service are you using? Does it use IMAP or POP?

I am using gmail. It is using IMAP. Everytime I delete all the emails and empty trash on all accounts it repopulates all the emails again. It is very annoying.

OP
H
Reaction score
I hope that the screen shot posts. But as you can see my email is separated into two mailboxes(annoying to begin with). When I delete the emails for the one titled gmail, I delete the emails, empty the trash and quit the application. When I sign on 20 minutes later, every single email that I have gotten since I have had my iMac repopulates in the inbox on gmail. Now I have deleted them from gmail site itself, and their is absolutely nothing left in my google mailbox, yet it keeps coming back. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 7.42.41 PM.png

C

chas_m

Yes. Sign into GMail via the web browser and delete them from there.

Let us know if that works.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes. Sign into GMail via the web browser and delete them from there.

Let us know if that works.

Thanks for the reply, but that did not work. It brings the deleted the emails with a vengeance.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.