PowerBook Overheating?

Z

zachwass2000

PowerBook Overheating? (Answered, Thank You)

I've had my PowerBook on for about 6 hours now (I just got my first mac, I'm addicted) and the computer is extremely hot on the bottom. I cannot have it on my lap without some sort of cover because it burns my legs. I noticed that this mostly happens when the charger is connected. Should I be worried about how hot it is getting?

OP
D

DigitalN.

it is only hot because you have the power of the CPU plugged onto max. go into the battery menu, and change it down to reduced CPU. should cool it down a little. it is not a worrysome thing that it gets hot, the fan will turn on at 60 or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The powerbooks generally get very hot, so yours is just acting normally.
Consider getting a stand for it, to improve air circulation and raise the screen to a better viewing position.
Griffin technology makes a nice one... www.griffintechnology.com
I personally use to thick books to sit my iBook on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
One of the downfalls of the G4 processor is it runs hot, really hot. You get used to it though. If worst comes to worst, you can stick it on the coffee table, or lay out on the ground and put it in front of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
DigitalN. said:
it is only hot because you have the power of the CPU plugged onto max. go into the battery menu, and change it down to reduced CPU. should cool it down a little. it is not a worrysome thing that it gets hot, the fan will turn on at 60 or so.

...The PowerBook should work properly, period. He shouldn't have to turn it down in order to not destroy it. That's NOT a solution.

Anyway, yeah. PowerBooks run hot when plugged in. I guess Apple assumes you won't have them plugged into the wall while they're on your lap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.