Should I Buy a Mac?

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a PC user. I own a Sony Vaio. I am a doctor in my country and use my notebook 45% for work stuff, 45% as a media station (blu ray, dvd, movies...) and 10% for gaming.
In 2000 I bought a Mac and did not like the experience: I could not work with it and the software I used could not be found for a Mac. So changed back to PCs after 3 months. Now I am considering once more doing the leap but I am afraid I might regreat, Here are my doubts:
- As I said, as a doctor I work with common stuff (word, powerpoint, etc..) but also I use software to reconstruct 3D images from CTs and MRIs. Those softwares can be pretty demanding for a computer, so I know beforehand I would have to get a Macbook Pro with a dedicated graphics card. Maybe because I am a doctor, what I can´t seem to understand is that looking trough the specs of a Macbook Pro (like, its Anatomy) it doesn´t seem mindblowing or cutting edge technology. I mean, maybe I am wrong, but it appears that there are several PCs that have more horsepower with a better price than a Macbook pro. So if someone could explain that to me I would be gratefull.
- Other thing is as I said, on my spare time, I like to watch movies and play some games. How is the Macbook Pro on those areas? How people that own a Mac can overcome the fact that it doesn´t support Blu Ray, or 3D movies? How do I can connect the notebook with my TV (it is my understanding that it does not have an HDMI outlet)? The games that I am playing right now are Skyrim and Modern Warfare. How does the Macbook Pro handle those games with an ATI 6770 (I think that is the graphic card in the machine)?
Hope to have some help soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why do you want a mac then?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like "louishen" asked...why do you want a Macintosh?

I didn't see any problems mentioned with your current computer setup...so why fix something that's not broke??;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
My current computer is a bit old and in my country, with taxes, it costs 3 times to buy a notebook than in the US. Since I am going to NY in October, I am planning to buy a new one.
As for the question above by louishen "Why a Mac" I think everybody that owes a Mac, owned a PC before and at some point, switched. I am curious as if there is some alternatives to my questions that can be made in the Mac world (like a peripheral to use 3D, to connect to TV, etc...) and how good is the Macbook pro in gaming (playing heavy games like Skyrim).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My current computer is a bit old and in my country, with taxes, it costs 3 times to buy a notebook than in the US. Since I am going to NY in October, I am planning to buy a new one.

I would imagine that if purchasing a notebook computer in your country costs 3x more than in the US...then that would mean that both a Macintosh & Windows-based computer would both cost much less in the US. So purchasing a computer in the US (or your country) is not really a

Thus this would leave the possibility of purchasing a Macintosh or a Windows-based computer wouldn't it?

As for the question above by louishen "Why a Mac" I think everybody that owes a Mac, owned a PC before and at some point, switched.

Well of course you know that this is not a correct statement...since almost NOTHING in this world is 100%. I for one have been using & owning Macintosh computers since 1986...and have NEVER purchased a Windows PC for my own use.

But you are correct...there are quite a few folks that are switchers (Windows PC to Mac).:)

The bottom line is...you have not given any compelling reasons for wanting to switch to a Mac...other than maybe just wanting to. Which is perfectly fine...we just like to make sure someone that is "switching...is doing it for the right reasons...and is aware of any downsides.:)

- Nick

p.s. Also...many Macintosh folks would agree (or at least many of the "experts" on this forum)...is that Macintosh computers are NOT the best choice for "heavy" gaming.

OP
J
Reaction score
I would imagine that if purchasing a notebook computer in your country costs 3x more than in the US...then that would mean that both a Macintosh & Windows-based computer would both cost much less in the US. So purchasing a computer in the US (or your country) is not really a

Thus this would leave the possibility of purchasing a Macintosh or a Windows-based computer wouldn't it?

Well of course you know that this is not a correct statement...since almost NOTHING in this world is 100%. I for one have been using & owning Macintosh computers since 1986...and have NEVER purchased a Windows PC for my own use.

But you are correct...there are quite a few folks that are switchers (Windows PC to Mac).:)

The bottom line is...you have not given any compelling reasons for wanting to switch to a Mac...other than maybe just wanting to.;)

- Nick

p.s. Also...many Macintosh folks would agree (or at least many of the "experts" on this forum)...is that Macintosh computers are NOT the best choice for "heavy" gaming.

Ok, sorry, I think I am being misunderstood. I usually am proud of myself for not having any kind of prejudice. So I don't coonsider myself a "so called fanboy". I think the Macs are nice and very good looking. I just don't know if day to day for my uses it will suffice. And by the way, Skyrim and Modern Warfare are the only two games I have installed.

OP
J
Reaction score
What I am trying to say is I don't consider myself a Heavy Gamer. More like a techy, geeky guy that likes the way games appear in a good resolution!

OP
J
Reaction score

The bottom line is...you have not given any compelling reasons for wanting to switch to a Mac...other than maybe just wanting to. Which is perfectly fine...we just like to make sure someone that is "switching...is doing it for the right reasons...and is aware of any downsides.:)

- Nick

Also, In your opinion, since I noticed a little bit of sarcasm in your post, is the Macbook Pro good for heavy Gaming?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am sort of shocked someone has not answered the Blu Ray and other questions. I know Stock, a Mac will not play Blu Ray as there is no Blu Ray drive included with any Mac. I am sure an external drive would work and remember someone here doing that. HD? Sure it will play HD videos. Apple sells HD videos on their store.

Gaming? To "ME" No Notebook is a great heavy duty gaming machine. There are some EXPENSIVE and HEAVY and Power Hungry Gaming notebooks with awful battery life that do a good job with demanding games, but I still prefer a good gaming desktop for that.

The best Mac I own is an iMac with a C2D CPU, 4GB RAM And older ATI Radeon HD2600 but a lot of decent games play quite well and this is a older machine. I am sure the MBP would do a decent job with the games you listed.

As far as the software you use for your doctor work, not sure. That you can find out from the people who make your software. If it's not available, there maybe other solutions that will do the same job for the Mac.

I think the main reason people did not try and help more is to most it really looks like you NEED a PC with Windows for your doctors stuff. Like I said though there might be ways around that issue. You can always install Windows 7 via Bootcamp or under a VM and run that doctors software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stick with a PC as there are better software programs for patients records, printing scripts etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, In your opinion, since I noticed a little bit of sarcasm in your post, is the Macbook Pro good for heavy Gaming?

Sorry...no sarcasm intended.

You still have not mentioned any compelling reasons to make the switch.:(

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i find my mac can handle games just fine - that being said ,i havent tried many. I will try Skyrim on the MBP when im able to get to it next. FWIW - i have the 6770M 1Gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I'm in the camp that doesn't see a compelling reason for you to switch...

It seems like you're going to need Windows (for your medical software, and at least some of your games), so even if you got a Mac you would have to dual-boot OS X and Windows. Also, although you've not stated where you live, I get the impression it is one of the countries Apple has not made significant inroads to yet; so a PC notebook would probably be easier to get serviced there if necessary.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a Mac, but if cost is a limiting factor it seems like a Mac could cost you more in the long run due to the extra costs required for getting it usable for your purposes (i.e. buying a copy of Windows), and potential higher service costs/times (granted Macs are generally more reliable than PCs, but it sounds like it may well be necessary for you to send any Mac you bought abroad to get it fixed if it did go wrong, whereas you could likely get a PC fixed in your own country).

Good luck with whatever choice you make :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion guys. I have a lot to think about. Oh and by the way I live in Brazil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
For what its worth the new VLC player for mac is supposed to play blu ray now

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, so I just need to buy an external drive then?
And what about connection with a TV? Can I do that with a Mac? I am only asking because everywhere I go online I can't seem to find if there is an HDMI outlet alternative, even if I have to buy one?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For what its worth the new VLC player for mac is supposed to play blu ray now

It's supposed to.... in theory. I wasn't able to get it working with my external Blu-Ray.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.