HP Printers with Mac computers

Reaction score
I have an HP printer (about 3 years old) that I have always used with my PC. Now that I have switched to a Macbook, can my printer be used with the Mac? Are there any drivers that can be downloaded to make the transition possible?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Maybe but we'd need to know the printer model before we can tell you for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Easiest way to find out is to look on HP's website. Search for drivers for your specific model printer and then see what version of OSX the drivers are compatible with.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Easiest way to find out is to look on HP's website. Search for drivers for your specific model printer and then see what version of OSX the drivers are compatible with.
Good point. If your printer isn't supported (as per the HP site), it may still work with either an older version of the driver or some non-HP supplied drivers so don't let a lack of "official" support discourage you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an HP printer (about 3 years old) that I have always used with my PC. Now that I have switched to a Macbook, can my printer be used with the Mac? Are there any drivers that can be downloaded to make the transition possible?

Why not just connect the HP printer into your MacBook...and see what happens? Many times drivers for most popular printers are included in an OS install..."Plug & Play". If no luck...then start trying to track down a driver.:)

You could also do a quick "Google" search using your HP printers brand & model number to ensure Macintosh compatibility BEFORE doing anything.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
also keep in mind that sometimes if you connect it, software update will download the latest drivers for that model (as it has done for me with canon and my hp) so make sure you run software update shortly after...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.