Going from PC/ Adobe Suites to Mac Open Source Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch MacBook Pro,2.8GHz dual-core,Intel Core i7,4GB 1333MHz
I have had my 1st Macbook Pro since father’s day now. I do a lot for digital art work. On my PC I have Adobe Creative and Premier Suites from when I did my graphic design courses in college. Unfortunately I do not have the cash right now to buy the suites for my Mac. I have Inskape and Gimp but have a hard time using them because I am so use to Photoshop and Illustrator so I find myself using my PC more than my Mac. I want to get away from the PC and go full Mac does anyone here use either of these open source apps? If so do you know any good places for useful tutorials that help jump start me to using these app's more?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per the Inkscape website, here is a book that is being written that might be of help. As for The Gimp, their website has some tutorials that might be of interest here.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the links. The Gimp link has a lot of thanks again!

C

chas_m

Or you could just ask Adobe for a sidegrade license, which is the cost of a normal update. It'll cost money, but a fraction of what you would have paid to buy new.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or you could just ask Adobe for a sidegrade license, which is the cost of a normal update. It'll cost money, but a fraction of what you would have paid to buy new.

Thanks for the tip but I'm no too sure that would work because my adobe suites are CS2 and student versions.

C

chas_m

Ah well yeah that won't work then.

Can you not get the student version of the current Adobe suite?

I'm not trying to knock open-source stuff here (I do that in other threads -- ka-ching!!), but as an experienced graphic designer let me just put it out there up front: the open-source apps are to Adobe apps as matchbox cars are to real cars.

But I see your dilemma, and there's no simple solution. However:

1. For converting files and doing some basic stuff, check out GraphicConverter ($40).

2. For RGB-based PS type stuff, definitely check out Pixelmator ($29 from the Mac App Store).

There are some options out there for inexpensive line drawing and desktop layout as well. Nothing as great as Illustrator or InDesign, but can get a lot of basic jobs done with style.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas_M I will look into GraphicConverter and Pixelmator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.