Attaching from iPhoto albums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac - OSX 10.5.5 + 13" Macbook - OSX 10.5.5
Where have my albums gone?
If I open iPhoto, I can see my list of albums on the left hand side. However if I go into my hard disk, and choose Pictures - iPhoto Library - Albums, then there is nothing there except for Last Import, Pending Rotation and Photo Library.
Also, if I run the name of one of my albums through Spotlight, it doesn't come up with any results.
This is very frustrating when I am trying to attach photos as i have to search for them by date.

Can anyone help?

PS I'm sure I didn't use to have this problem - did it start when Ii upgraded to iPhoto 5?

L

lil

I have heard of some people with iPhoto 5 having these kind of issues - I have never had them personally.

Anyway - the best answer I can give is before you click iPhoto in the dock or double click in applications is to hold down command and option (apple + alt) and then click to load iPhoto - keep those two keys held down.

Window opens saying Rebuild iPhoto Library and click all four checkboxes and then click Rebuild.

Hopefully this will help!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iPhoto 5 uses a different directory structure than before, but generally I'd strongly advise against manually accessing your files via iPhoto's directory structure.

Instead, just pick out the photos you want in iPhoto itself and drag them to the desktop or wherever you want them to go.
Much easier than manually sifting through iPhotos folders...

P.S. If you want to attach photos to an email, just select the ones you want to attach and hit the email button at the bottom of iPhoto to automatically resize them (or not) and attach them to a new email.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice Vicky, I rebuilt the albums, but nothing has changed!

Any other ideas?

I just can't see how I can have albums in iPhoto that I can manipulate, but when I search for them they don't exist!

Thanks

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I don't understand why you are trying to access the files through the finder/spotlight?
That's not the way iPhoto was designed - the individual files are meant to be accessed through iPhoto itself. That's why it's primarily a photo management software, not an editor.

To access your photos you've organized with iPhoto, use the app itself to locate and move/send/attach/copy them. The album structure you create in there ISN'T transferred to the actual Folder structure iPhoto creates.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If, for example, I want to attach a photo to a mail sent from my Gmail account, I press attach and on the pop-up window I select the photo I want. until I upgraded, I could go into the albums directory of iPhoto and all of my albums would be listed. Now when I go to the albums directory I have to search for my photo by date.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm just wondering if there is anyway I can access these folders the way that I used to.
Dragging stuff onto the desktop does not seem as convenient to me as going directly to the album I want without having to even open iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand your point about not having to open iPhoto, it does take a while to open sometimes...
Unfortunately you won't be able to do that with version 5...
Either you use a different photo managing application that sorts the picture folders a way you like, or lets you sort them manually, or you have to get used to using iPhoto.

Maybe Shoebox can do what you want? (Never tried it though...)
http://www.kavasoft.com/Shoebox/

Reaction score
I Photo

I am certainly no expert with I Photo, having just recently "migrated" but would like to back up what aptmunich mentioned about accessing the i photo library from outside the program. I found this out to my cost just recently and the whole program was deleted from my system. Fortunately after reinstalling, the i photo library was back in place so no loss of images.
i was unaware that I was performing an "illegal" operation...I was trying to edit an image in the library through Adobe Photoshop. I have since been told that access to the library from outside the program is a huge NO NO!
I guess the best way is to first copy the image to somewhere then work on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's right.

It's a bit silly really - I mean iTunes works in a similar way, and there you can access your files directly with no problems.

I think it is due to the fact that iPhoto creates thumbnails and saves your originals after you edit them as well...

But many newcomers to iPhoto are irritated by this at first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.