Messenger:mac ......... File Transfer Issues!

L

liberal123

Ok, So I got my Mac Mini last week, and what can I say, It's awesome! I'm in love!!!!! :D

So I downloaded Messenger:mac Installed it, all is good, Except when I send or receive files......They start, get about half way and then Messenger just quits.

It doesn't do it straight away though, It will let me transfer one file, then any files after that it will sign me out. Then once I'm signed in again, I can send or receive one file, and then it quits!

So I'm wondering if I have set something up wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Lee

OP
T

Tiranis

Hmm, my only question is why would you want to use Messenger on Mac? Why not Adium (http://www.adiumx.com/) - it supports MSN, AIM, ICQ, .Mac, Yahoo! Messenger, etc. If you insist on using Messenger then I can't help - used it for two hours only - sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea go with adium its the best thing going right not for msn on a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If file transfer is important, Adium is not the best choice. Unfortunately Adium (or any 3rd party messenger for now) has very weak and buggy file transfer if it even works at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adium has never failed me in over 8 months now and i get files from loads of different people so IME i believe that to be incorrect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
inflexion said:
Adium has never failed me in over 8 months now and i get files from loads of different people so IME i believe that to be incorrect
Not incorrect, you're just lucky. Check out the official Adium forums or even ask the devs. File transfer is not rock solid in Adium.

OP
T

Tiranis

Well, it's true that Adium is not the best thing for file transfers for everyone, but I have never had any problems... so for me it IS the best thing. Plus the issues are slowly being fixed it seems... in any case - better buggy than none at all. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess i should be greatful then that im one of the lucky ones :)

its slow though but gets there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
weird. never had any probs with messenger:mac before, and it d/l's at good speed too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
For the longest time Adium didn't even have transfer GUI. It just expected you to guess when it was finished for yourself. I've had sporadic luck with it. Oddly, 90% of my file transfers with Windows AIM users have gone through successfully, but my one Adium-using friend couldn't receive a file I tried to transfer. It's definitely not the most consistent option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.